CedarLakeMusky

What's A Good Airbrush For A Beginner?

I've purchased a couple different airbrushes before finally buying an Iwata. I was amazed at how much difference there was between the Iwata and the other brands I'd used. The Iwata is a vastly superior airbrush in my opinion. They are a bit more expensive, but if you have a Hobby Lobby in your area they have some of the Iwata airbrushes for less than $100 and I think you can go online to Hobby Lobby's website and print out a 40% off coupon that you can then use to purchase your airbrush. You can go to websites such as TCP Global or Coast Airbrush and look at the many different models of all the popular airbrushes. A lot of the guys here at TU are using the Iwata Revolutions, Eclipses and High Performance brushes. I tried going with a couple cheaper brushes when I first started and if I had it to do over again I would go ahead and purchase the Iwata to begin with.

hope this helps,

RG

One more thing for you to consider is nozzle size in whatever brand of airbrush you end up buying. The larger nozzle sizes (.5mm) are good for spraying base coats, slightly thicker paint and paints you've added flake too, but they won't give you as much control when trying to spray smaller details and fine lines. The smaller nozzles (.1mm or .2mm) are great for spraying details, but are much slower when spraying base coats because there isn't as much paint flowing through them. In my opinion the mid size nozzles (.3mm or .35mm) give a good balance between the smaller and larger nozzle sizes. I still get good coverage when spraying base coats and the brush can achieve much finer details than I'm capable of painting anyway. Something for you to think about and if we can offer anymore help just holler.

RG

Hey CLM

Get yourself the Iwata , you can't go wrong. I only wish hobby lobby sold the (Hi-Line HP-AH)

I'll just have to sell a few more lures , lol

Mike

I bought an Iwata Hi-Line a while back and I absolutely LOVE it. It puts everything else I've tried to shame. Of course it's capable of painting at a much higher level than I will ever be able to attain, but it is such a pleasure to use.

I bought an Iwata Hi-Line a while back and I absolutely LOVE it. It puts everything else I've tried to shame. Of course it's capable of painting at a much higher level than I will ever be able to attain, but it is such a pleasure to use.

I am just starting out doing lures, but make a living with my airbrushes doing custom paint work. I have 2 iwata eclipse gravity feed, and wouldn't use anything else......you can get pretty detailed with them .3 nozzles I think they are like 125.00 at coast airbrush. My detail brush is a Richpen mojo. 300.00 from mike learn airbrush. My big guns are iwata also 550.00 for my LPH400 clear gun ......my motto is, pay now or pay later.....you can't put a price on good quaility

Edited by Hollywood691

Copic Air Brush I hear is an excellent airbrush system to use. I hand paint so far, and have to tried the airbrush yet.

I am just starting out doing lures, but make a living with my airbrushes doing custom paint work. I have 2 iwata eclipse gravity feed, and wouldn't use anything else......you can get pretty detailed with them .3 nozzles I think they are like 125.00 at coast airbrush. My detail brush is a Richpen mojo. 300.00 from mike learn airbrush. My big guns are iwata also 550.00 for my LPH400 clear gun ......my motto is, pay now or pay later.....you can't put a price on good quaility

Hey Ben , happy to hear U got yourself a Iwata , like you said , you cant go wrong. Ive had my HP-C Plus for little over 2 yrs now , I just need another brush , Id like to get a Hi-Line , my lure selling money so far went to 3 new duckett rods & 2 new KVD tour bait casters. Time to save for the airbrush.

Mike

I have been looking at airbrushes online and really like the looks of the Iwata's. I noticed alot of online sites just sell the airbrush. I assume I will need an airhose? Is there anything else I would need? Can I run an airbrush off my air compressor at home? Will I need to attach a water trap between my compressor and airbrush? Thank you all for the info so far.

CLM

I have been looking at airbrushes online and really like the looks of the Iwata's. I noticed alot of online sites just sell the airbrush. I assume I will need an airhose? Is there anything else I would need? Can I run an airbrush off my air compressor at home? Will I need to attach a water trap between my compressor and airbrush? Thank you all for the info so far.

CLM

If you look at Coast Airbrush, you can buy it all from there for the best price. You need, Airbrush, watertrap/ regulator, and airhose. Make sure you get the hose made for Iwata, ......iwata, pasche, badger all have different connections. If you got the wrong hose you can always get an adapter.

Thanks for all the good info everyone.

I have been looking at getting an airbrush as well, and have researched prices from online and local shops. I keep getting hung up when it comes to compressors. Reading in the compressor forums it seems most buy inexpensive compressors from hardwear stores. I live in an apartment, and must consider noise levels. Air brush compressors appear to be much quieter, smaller (1/10-1/5hp), and pricy ($200+).

Has anyone used one of these. Iwata makes several, all over the $200 range.

Does anyone know of a quiet compressor I could pick up for under $125. I was looking at one at Home Depot, "The Scout" but it does not give a desiple level.

The other option I have would be buying cans of propell, but I think this would be a waist.

Or I will just need to wait and save up for an Iwata compressor.

Thanks for all the good info everyone.

I have been looking at getting an airbrush as well, and have researched prices from online and local shops. I keep getting hung up when it comes to compressors. Reading in the compressor forums it seems most buy inexpensive compressors from hardwear stores. I live in an apartment, and must consider noise levels. Air brush compressors appear to be much quieter, smaller (1/10-1/5hp), and pricy ($200+).

Has anyone used one of these. Iwata makes several, all over the $200 range.

Does anyone know of a quiet compressor I could pick up for under $125. I was looking at one at Home Depot, "The Scout" but it does not give a desiple level.

The other option I have would be buying cans of propell, but I think this would be a waist.

Or I will just need to wait and save up for an Iwata compressor.

There are several things to think about when buying an air compressor. How much noise they make is definitely one of them. The smaller compressors you mentioned are a lot quieter, but generally they don't put out as much air as the larger compressors. If your planning on only painting a few lures at a time this might not be a problem. I'm not familiar with the compressor you mentioned, but I would suggest looking at the CFM (cubic feet per minute), the maximum pressure and the recovery time (the time it takes to build back up to working pressure) if it's listed. Hope this helps.

RG

Sammy ,

Hit up ebay , I got my used Iwata sprint jet compressor from there , had it now over 2 yrs, I think I paid $75 , its what I started with. It does the job for what I need.

My Iwata Airbrush came from coastairbrush.

Mike

Ebay Was a good call I didn't think of. I found this complete set I am considering. Seems to be the cheapest I have been able to find. I put together a similar set on the TCP Global website, but it was more, shipping was more, and the air compressor was not as good. This must be an EBay special...

hmmmmm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IWATA-HP-CS-Eclipse-AIRBRUSH-w-COMPRESSOR-Createx-Hobby-/220647670988?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Edited by sammy01007

Compressors - I've used a couple of airbrush compressors and wouldn't dream of using them in the house with the family at home. Tool compressors are even noisier when they turn on (the larger the storage tank, the less often they run). You do have a few options. You could use a tool compressor installed outside with a hose running inside to your work area. Or you could build an insulated box to muffle the noise of an airbrush compressor. Or you could spend big bucks for a quiet airbrush compressor. Or you could use a large CO2 tank which would be virtually silent. I just do my airbrushing in the garage :rolleyes:

Sammy,

Thanks for the link. You've certainly turned my head. After all of my research I had settled on the Iwata Eclipse airbrush some time ago but like you have been researching/comparing prices. This is by far the best deal I have seen on the net ythet. I think I am going to order. You get everything all in one wack, that takes out half the work right there.

Well if anyone else would like to offer their advice or opinion please do because this sounds like to good of a deal to pass up!

Darren.

Compressors - I've used a couple of airbrush compressors and wouldn't dream of using them in the house with the family at home. Tool compressors are even noisier when they turn on (the larger the storage tank, the less often they run). You do have a few options. You could use a tool compressor installed outside with a hose running inside to your work area. Or you could build an insulated box to muffle the noise of an airbrush compressor. Or you could spend big bucks for a quiet airbrush compressor. Or you could use a large CO2 tank which would be virtually silent. I just do my airbrushing in the garage :rolleyes:

Ebay Was a good call I didn't think of. I found this complete set I am considering. Seems to be the cheapest I have been able to find. I put together a similar set on the TCP Global website, but it was more, shipping was more, and the air compressor was not as good. This must be an EBay special...

hmmmmm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...DefaultDomain_0

They actually sell that kit $30 cheaper on e-bay than on their own website. Doesn't make sense with the fees involved , but here's their site:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=ABD+KIT-4207T-MASTER

They actually sell that kit $30 cheaper on e-bay than on their own website. Doesn't make sense with the fees involved , but here's their site:

http://www.tcpglobal...IT-4207T-MASTER

If your worried about noise, you can build a silent compressor from an old fridgerator motor. I think I still have the plans laying around for that. I've always had a big compressor,.....my cousin had one of those small compressors and I thought it was loud and annoying sounding, kinda like a pair of hair clippers in your ear.

When I worked in Malaysia, I lived in an apartment, so noise was a big issue. I bought a silent compressor, sorry I do not remember the manufacturer, but it was no more noisy than an aquarium pump. It worked OK for detailing, stripes, scales etc. The only time it was a pain,was when you were laying down a base coat, then it would run out of steam pretty quick. Not a job stopper, a few seconds and you are up again.

The problem is that they do not have a reservoir to store a sufficient head of pressure to sustain a heavy coat. In fact, I am not even sure if it had a reservoir at all (I did not open the thing up to find out).

It may be possible to hook a silent compressor to a tank, to solve this problem, may be someone has tried this and will provide feedback for you.

This compressor was very expensive, but I think that was down to the owner of the hobby shop, he definately saw me comming. He charged me $120 for a Paasche VL airbrush, I had no choice but to pay, no other local suppliers.

Hope you find a solution that works for you and your neighbours.

Dave