CedarLakeMusky

What's A Good Airbrush For A Beginner?

Well gentlemen I am soon to begin my hobby of airbrushing my own baits. After much research and a wealth of information gained I just purchased my Iwata Eclipse airbrushing system off of E-bay. Thanks to the gentleman who posted the link to that E-bay deal. I already had a mind set on the Iwata Eclipse so this was a no-brainer to get it all in one whack.

I am so excited for the mail to get here! Thanks to everyone for all the information I have learned up to this point................Darren.

Cleaning your brush often, after every color change, is, for me, one of the big keys to trouble free air brush painting.

I'd suggest you have a tupperware full of clean water next to your painting station, some rags, and a spray bottle with water and a couple of drops of dish washing liquid mixed in.

When you finish with one color, drip the excess paint back into the paint bottle, wipe out the brush's bowl with a rag, dip the bowl into the clean water, and back flush it well. Do that several times. Then use the soap/water spray bottle to fill the bowl again, back flush well, and clean out the nozzle with a soft brush and the soap solution.

Take the needle out and wipe it clean. Then put it back in CAREFULLY. Bent needles are a nightmare.

Then flush one more time with water, and you're ready to paint again.

Once you develop a routine, it doesn't take long, and it will help avoid lots of the problems we all encounter with air brushes.

Have some acetone handy, and use it to backflush your brush once a week or so, and it will keep the paint from building up in the tiny air holes around the nozzle.

Depending on the paints you use, how hot it is, and how much you thin your paints, you may find you need to do the cleaning routine more or less often. I do it a lot, and don't have to do an acetone cleaning very often at all.

I do use a spray bottle of Windex as a part of my cleaning routine, with a backflush with Windex between the first water backflush and the dishsoap flush, but some people say Windex, or at least the ammonia in it, attacks the chrome of the air brush. I flush it all out so well I don't worry about it, and the ammonia is good at breaking up any dried paint.

The other key is thinning whatever paint I'm using to the consistency of skim milk, and just using more coats, with each coat heat set with a hair dryer. Use whatever thinner the paint manuf. recommends, and you won't go wrong.

Edited by mark poulson

Well gentlemen I am soon to begin my hobby of airbrushing my own baits. After much research and a wealth of information gained I just purchased my Iwata Eclipse airbrushing system off of E-bay. Thanks to the gentleman who posted the link to that E-bay deal. I already had a mind set on the Iwata Eclipse so this was a no-brainer to get it all in one whack.

I am so excited for the mail to get here! Thanks to everyone for all the information I have learned up to this point................Darren.

Glad you made the purchase. Can you tell me what you think of the kit after you get it. Expecially anout the noise level and performance of the compressor. If you give it a thumbs up I think I will make the same purchase. I notice they have re-posted the same deal.

I agree with what Mark says about cleaning your brush and keeping it clean. Also what he says about thinning your paint. When I first started I shot Createx straight out of the bottle, but since I've started thinning the paint it seems to spray much better and it seems like it's easier to blend different colors together when doing fades. And it also allows better control when spraying transparent paints over each other to get the desired effect. At least for me anyway. While my cleaning ritual is a little different from Marks the idea is the same. And that's to keep the brush clean. You'll just have to experiment to see what works best for you. Like he says, once you've decided on a system that works for you it will become second nature and you won't even have to think about it.

i use a 33 gallon compressor. One of my buddies have a air brush compressor. I would not trade mine for the world. 2-3 days of heavy 5-7 hr painting and you will have plenty of air before the motor turns on.

I think mine cost $299 at sears and they threw in the air tools(junk).

After reading this post i think i will be investing in a Iwata brush soon. I feel i have gotten pretty good with my PS900 from buyairbrush.com i wonder what will happen with a high end brush?