CTBASS56

Top Poor Questions (btw-just Got Married)

Hi everyone,

Been awhile since I posted, just got married and got back from my two week honeymoon( 1 week maui, 1 week kauai) AWESOME!

Anyway, made a deal with the wifey that I wouldnt start buying materials and what not until after the wedding(had to save!!!)

My questions are:

who sells top poor molds?

Are top poor molds consistent?

do you guys recommend top poor molds vs open molds?

can you top poor injection molds?

p.s. the reason I ask is because I am kind of stuck between whether I want to inject or hand pour my baits, plus and minus to both....

Thanks for your help!!

Wedding and honeymoon are over and im looking to buy,buy,buy$$$$

Congrats on the marraige. I hope yours is as good to you as mine has been to me. We're in it about 20 years now.

I'm a newbie to pouring as well.

You can't hand pour injection molds. It won't work, but injectors will work with 2 peice aluminum molds designed to hand pour.

I have a Basstackle injector and no longer hand pour. The injector makes it go faster and I have much fewer incomplete baits.

I don't see any minuses with injecting.

The type of mold should be determined by the style of bait you want to pour. flukes, senkos, chunks and some swimbaits would be fine with a single peice mold, but if you want perfectly round baits, a 2 peice mold would give you that immediately. It's possible to get baits without the flat spot on top with one peice molds, but it takes a practiced hand and some over pouring.(clear as mud???)

The only thing I can tell you is to choose the mold that has the highest cavity count and an injector with the highest liquid capacity. I bought a 2 cavity Paca chunk mold from Basstakle and wish I'd gotten the 4 cavity so I could speed up production. Guess I need to order another one now ;)

Edited by patrick reif

Congrats on the marraige. I hope yours is as good to you as mine has been to me. We're in it about 20 years now.

I'm a newbie to pouring as well.

You can't hand pour injection molds. It won't work, but injectors will work with 2 peice aluminum molds designed to hand pour.

I have a Basstackle injector and no longer hand pour. The injector makes it go faster and I have much fewer incomplete baits.

I don't see any minuses with injecting.

The type of mold should be determined by the style of bait you want to pour. flukes, senkos, chunks and some swimbaits would be fine with a single peice mold, but if you want perfectly round baits, a 2 peice mold would give you that immediately. It's possible to get baits without the flat spot on top with one peice molds, but it takes a practiced hand and some over pouring.(clear as mud???)

The only thing I can tell you is to choose the mold that has the highest cavity count and an injector with the highest liquid capacity. I bought a 2 cavity Paca chunk mold from Basstakle and wish I'd gotten the 4 cavity so I could speed up production. Guess I need to order another one now ;)

I have the 4, I think I need another 4

I like both. Injection molds/injectors are more money than hand pour molds, many of which you can make yourself with little to no cost. Pyrex cups are $2-$3...

Injection is extemely simple to do. If you can pull back on a plunger and push down on one, you can inject perfect baits every time. I actually bought one from a manufacturer along with molds and was making baits within minutes of opening the box. Really a no brainer. Super fast also.

If you are talking production, it all really depends on the number of molds you have. A guy can out pour an injector if the injector only has a few cavities. Visa versa applies as well.

If you want to do laminates a lot, choose injection unless you have lots of experience hand pouring. Injection takes the guess work away. It does cost more to get that all set up.

If you want to do veins, 3 to 4 color wormss, swimbaits in 3 or more colors or baits with a head color (ie white swim with red head), you have to go to hand pour as you cannot reliably produce (in some cases cannot produce) these without an open pour mold.

Also depends on the baits you want to do. Some things, like thin appendages or flappers, may only be possible with hand injection. Take that into consideration as well.

I think I really like having a mix of both. Gives me the option to run junebug all night long on hand injection molds or I can break out the hand pour molds and get busy on some Aaron's Magic with chartreuse tails also....

Just my opinion though....

Jim