Kelkay

Inline Spinners

I am totally new at making inline spinners. I knew I needed to get round nose pliers, and I did. They were Craftsman brand, but I don't think they are heavy enough to make the inline spinners I need to make. I was looking at Barlow's and they have German Round Nose Nesting Pliers. Would these be better than regular round nose pliers? I noticed Silver Supplies.com and they have some higher end round nose German made pliers too. Can anyone steer me right on which would be better at shaping wire? The ones I have will do the job temporarily, but they make turning the wire hard, and I don't have a lot of hand strength. I was thinking pliers about 25 bucks to 30 would hold up a while. I also make spinners for flies as well...and would like to start trying to make some wire harnesses for them as well. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated, I don't want to waste any more money than I have to, so I would like to make the right selection when choosing the pliers this time.

Kelly

Hi Kelkay,

What kind of wire are you planning to use for spinners ?

I have 2 pair of round nose pliers. Yellow one is from Barlow's (made in Germany) and they are good for wire up to 0.40

Red one is Round Nose Pliers 7" model(made in Germany) and I use it for up to 0.62 wires. I bought it here:

Knipex Round nose pliers

Both are high quality tools.

PL1.jpg

Hope it helps

This is what I was going to make the wire harness for the spinner flies with. BRIGHT, .022 Diameter, #9, 105 lb Test, 192' Spool, (040, 022). The inline spinner wire is the close eyed ss wire shaft which you get from Jann's. Thanks for your recommendations about the pliers. I am going to look the Knipex up. The other one I had seen, but wondered how good it was. I hope to hear more replies soon, as I would like to order something in a day or two.

Kelly

Hi Kelkay,

What kind of wire are you planning to use for spinners ?

I have 2 pair of round nose pliers. Yellow one is from Barlow's (made in Germany) and they are good for wire up to 0.40

Red one is Round Nose Pliers 7" model(made in Germany) and I use it for up to 0.62 wires. I bought it here:

Knipex Round nose pliers

Both are high quality tools.

PL1.jpg

Hope it helps

This is what I was going to make the wire harness for the spinner flies with. BRIGHT, .022 Diameter, #9, 105 lb Test, 192' Spool, (040, 022). The inline spinner wire is the close eyed ss wire shaft which you get from Jann's. Thanks for your recommendations about the pliers. I am going to look the Knipex up. The other one I had seen, but wondered how good it was. I hope to hear more replies soon, as I would like to order something in a day or two.

Kelly

I am just starting to do them as well. You may want to look at the Boggs Tacklemaker. I plan on getting one of these real soon. Check out the videos on http://www.tacklemaker.com/video.html . Barlows has them http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=3367&CATID=115

I am just starting to do them as well. You may want to look at the Boggs Tacklemaker.

Yes, those did look good, I saw them yesterday. If I am going to be doing a ton of these flies, it would be worth it to buy. At this point I am not sure if it would help me with the wire harness completely, so I prefer to do this by hand temporarily. If I decide I will be making a larger number of flies, I will definitely keep that tool in mind. Thanks for replying, and letting me know what you think about it.

I am starting to think those that make inline spinners, or wire harnesses for spinners do not frequent this board. I had hoped to order today. I guess I will give it till tomorrow, and then make my purchase. I had hoped to hear more reviews, so please put your two cents in by then if you can. Thank you.

Kelly

Look for a worth hand held it will work nicely. Should be about 10 to 15 bucks. I thinks jannsnetcraft may caryy them.

I am starting to think those that make inline spinners, or wire harnesses for spinners do not frequent this board. I had hoped to order today. I guess I will give it till tomorrow, and then make my purchase. I had hoped to hear more reviews, so please put your two cents in by then if you can. Thank you.

Kelly

Just a note ... You got some good replies ... I hope you pulled a "Search" on this subject as there is a lot of information on it.

A lot of the "Wire Work" on regular Spinner baits will apply to this subject as well..

2cents worth

JSC

I use my wire formers as much as possible but can only go up to .035 wire. I have the Netcraft wire bender before they merged with Janns, and a handheld one. On the handheld there is a small round edge that helps you with the start of forming eyes, then you use the pliers if the wire is too big.

Fatman

I use my wire formers as much as possible but can only go up to .035 wire. I have the Netcraft wire bender before they merged with Janns, and a handheld one. On the handheld there is a small round edge that helps you with the start of forming eyes, then you use the pliers if the wire is too big.

Fatman

Thanks for the info. I hope what I select works good. I am thinking of diagonal wire cutters. My wire cutters aren't worth a flip, need a pair of those too.

I am totally new at making inline spinners. I knew I needed to get round nose pliers, and I did. They were Craftsman brand, but I don't think they are heavy enough to make the inline spinners I need to make. I was looking at Barlow's and they have German Round Nose Nesting Pliers. Would these be better than regular round nose pliers? I noticed Silver Supplies.com and they have some higher end round nose German made pliers too. Can anyone steer me right on which would be better at shaping wire? The ones I have will do the job temporarily, but they make turning the wire hard, and I don't have a lot of hand strength. I was thinking pliers about 25 bucks to 30 would hold up a while. I also make spinners for flies as well...and would like to start trying to make some wire harnesses for them as well. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated, I don't want to waste any more money than I have to, so I would like to make the right selection when choosing the pliers this time.

Kelly

Kelly, I’m not sure that your craftsman round nose pliers are the wrong selection. What size closed loop wire did you purchase from Janns. Your pliers should easily handle .024 and .030 wire, as well as the .022 wire you intend to use for fly harnesses and spinners. If you purchased the .051 closed loop wires, no pliers bend those easily.

I’ve used a pair of Diamalloy rn54 round nose (now Cooper rn54) for years for those wire sizes without problems. These pliers are very similar in size to the Craftsman.

I use a pair of Sargent sportmate pliers for cutting wire. Spring stainless is fairly tough and will ding the blades of many side cutters. Because the sportmate pliers are compound action, the (very tough) cutters go through the wire easily, plus the parallel jaws are handy for other wire bending tasks. Unfortunately the 4 ½ inch sportmate pliers are no longer made (show up with some regularity on eBay however), but Sargent makes a functionally identical 6 inch plier called the snip/grip.

Included in the attached pictures is a pair of Crescent round nose pliers (red handles), which is a little larger and more robust for heavier wire. They may not be made any longer either. The compound action round nose pliers were made by Bernard, the predecessor to Sargent. They are antiques, but do still show up on eBay occasionally. They are very strong, and since they are compound action, the jaws remain parallel for their entire length. They have rather large tips however.

The top pair of end nippers in the second picture is a pair of antique Starrett nippers for cutting music wire. These are still made, however new ones are VERY expensive (around 200 dollars). Older ones show up on eBay all the time, however you need to be aware that Starrett also made/makes tile nippers which are virtually identical except for the shape of the replaceable blades. The wire cutter model is model No. 1 in either 5 or 7 inch lengths. They cut wire effortlessly, but are big and bulky

The second nippers were made by Bernard, and since they are compound action, go through stainless wire like butter. They are antiques, but do still show up on eBay from time to time. They are very compact and work great.

post-16955-074941000 1282450466_thumb.jpg

post-16955-056280800 1282450478_thumb.jpg

Edited by pirkfan

Kelly, I’m not sure that your craftsman round nose pliers are the wrong selection. What size closed loop wire did you purchase from Janns. Your pliers should easily handle .024 and .030 wire, as well as the .022 wire you intend to use for fly harnesses and spinners. If you purchased the .051 closed loop wires, no pliers bend those easily.

I’ve used a pair of Diamalloy rn54 round nose (now Cooper rn54) for years for those wire sizes without problems. These pliers are very similar in size to the Craftsman.

I use a pair of Sargent sportmate pliers for cutting wire. Spring stainless is fairly tough and will ding the blades of many side cutters. Because the sportmate pliers are compound action, the (very tough) cutters go through the wire easily, plus the parallel jaws are handy for other wire bending tasks. Unfortunately the 4 ½ inch sportmate pliers are no longer made (show up with some regularity on eBay however), but Sargent makes a functionally identical 6 inch plier called the snip/grip.

Included in the attached pictures is a pair of Crescent round nose pliers (red handles), which is a little larger and more robust for heavier wire. They may not be made any longer either. The compound action round nose pliers were made by Bernard, the predecessor to Sargent. They are antiques, but do still show up on eBay occasionally. They are very strong, and since they are compound action, the jaws remain parallel for their entire length. They have rather large tips however.

The top pair of end nippers in the second picture is a pair of antique Starrett nippers for cutting music wire. These are still made, however new ones are VERY expensive (around 200 dollars). Older ones show up on eBay all the time, however you need to be aware that Starrett also made/makes tile nippers which are virtually identical except for the shape of the replaceable blades. The wire cutter model is model No. 1 in either 5 or 7 inch lengths. They cut wire effortlessly, but are big and bulky

The second nippers were made by Bernard, and since they are compound action, go through stainless wire like butter. They are antiques, but do still show up on eBay from time to time. They are very compact and work great.

Wow, I wish I had seen this sooner. I finally gave up on another review of these and decided to purchase the Knipex tool, and was going to order a Worth tool as well. I just made the Knipex purchase a little while ago.

I do not know what size of wire I made the spinners on from Jann's. A friend from the internet sent them to me, and I used the wire he had, and it did not have a label on it. I ordered some of the same type of wire with the closed end...and was going to make spinners with them. I was out all day, and the package got here late. So maybe tomorrow or the next day I will get around to using the wire I bought, and maybe it is easier to bend than his wire was. I will scout around on the net tomorrow and try and find some of the stuff you are talking about. Well, if the problem was too hard of wire from him, I will have a spare plier...lol. I hear they wear out after use making the wire harnesses. I got the stainless steel wire in from Jann's in the same shipment as the closed eye wire for inline spinners. I will know for sure when I try that out if my pliers will hold up. I just assumed the wire he sent was the standard for making inline spinners. It wasn't extra long, so I didn't think it was musky fly strength. Thanks for your comments. :D

I have the Bogg's Tacklemaker and it works very well. I've been having problems with the final loop as the length of wire is longer than I would like (I shoot for about 1/4 inch from clevis to loop). I saw the following vid and the luremaker was using a pair of Leadmaster Luremaker Pliers. I found the website and ordered a pair. If I can't figure out the problem on the Tacklemaker I can use the pliers if needed. One side of the tip is rounded and the other the standard shape.

Edited by rickman

21 hours ago, Ofishally Hook'd said:
On 2010-08-19 at 7:04 PM, tacklecrafter said:

Look for a worth hand held it will work nicely. Should be about 10 to 15 bucks. I thinks jannsnetcraft may caryy them.

Do u have any of those worth laying g around still? 

http://lurecomponents.worthco.com/products/tools/wire-forming-tool

$6.40

This wire forming tool will make "Mepps" style in-line spinners.

I like this tool and recommend it!!!!

It works with  0.028 inch diameter or smaller wire.

Edited by Glaucus