Jump to content
Lure Holder System
4 replies to this topic
Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:08 PM
I have been trying to think of a lure holding system for quite some time. I have several prototype lures on the go at the moment and ran out of spring clamps, so had to come up with something fast. This idea was one of those 5am jobbies.
Made from materials and tools that I already had lying around my cave. Materials - 10mm diameter aluminium bar, 5mm allen bolts and washers. Tools - centre punch, hammer, 4.2mm dia drill, 5mm x 0.8 tap, band saw, belt sander, allen key.
The design is self explanatory. I spot punched and drilled a hole through the bar one inch from the end. The reason for this excessive distance was, when I cut the bar to correct length, I was not cutting a slither, which would have disappeared into the band saw casing and could have caused a problem. Tapped the hole. fitted the bolt and washer. marked the edge of the washer. removed the bolt and washer. cut the bar to the mark. Sanded (or filed) a flat on the bar, to aid clamping. Trimmed the bar to required length. Removed burrs.
The idea is that once the twisted eyes are fitted, the lure is clamped and never touched with hands until the top coat is dry. Various stands and jigs can be manufactured to hold the lures for the different operations, like drip drying, painting etc. A lure drying wheel can be designed to hold the bar, with a flap of rubber sheet partially covering the rear of the hole, this should be sufficient to hold the bar in place. This would allow the bar to be pushed in and pulled out, without stopping the rotation. I am sure more jigs will come to mind.
Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:51 PM
As a post script to this idea, as the aluminium bar was slightly over size, at between 10.15mm and 10.30mm diameter, I went for an under sized hole in mounting jigs and drying wheel, at 10.00mm diameter. I tapered the jig end of the bar, using the belt sander. This gave me a friction fit into the jigs, resulting in a sturdy mount, but still easily removable with a twist of the wrist.
Although the system has only been in use a few days, I am very happy with it and will be making more rods for my production system.
Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:27 PM
Very good Dave. I think I could whip up those faster that buying new hemostats. Thanks