luke1wcu

Topcoat Jointed Repaints

I've done some searching and still am unsure what I need to do. I am wanting to topcoat a repaint of an old rc 2.5 jointed wake bait. You all may or may not know that these have really tight joints. I only have experience using etex and I am pretty sure it will not work in this case. I saw that the Rookie stated in an old post about spraying a topcoat used on tractors. I googled that and am still unsure what I am looking for. Any advice would be much appreciated. I sure hate to ruin a Lucky Craft so I want to make sure before I go any further. Thanks guys!

If I were doing it, I'd suspend the lure horizontally over my work bench, in it's swimming position, and brush on a coat of some kind of urethane or lacquer finish.

Those finishes are both thinner than epoxy, so they would be easier to keep from clogging the joint. And having the bait suspended that way should keep the finish from running into the joints, too.

I know, at least with urethanes, I would have to stand by with a paper towel to blot up the drips that will form on the belly, so I don't have an ugly buildup.

But urethanes dry pretty fast, so, as long as I keep the coat thin, I think that would be my best shot.

You might find a clear lacquer that comes in a spray can, too, but I'd be afraid it would find it's way too deep into the joints, and be hard to clean out once it's set.

Pete, I think you posted in the wrong thread, LOL. Your post confused the hell out of me, until I read this one: http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/20374-absolute-must-haves-for-your-painting-bench/page__pid__151999#entry151999 I tried to PM you, but your box was full.

I like the whiskey, what is that for, paint removal, or steady the hand for brushing fine lines?

Dave

Pete, I think you posted in the wrong thread, LOL. Your post confused the hell out of me, until I read this one: http://www.tackleund...999#entry151999 I tried to PM you, but your box was full.

I like the whiskey, what is that for, paint removal, or steady the hand for brushing fine lines?

Dave

Thanks Dave, I had about 4 threads open, guess I picked the wrong one:lol:- Thanks also for the update on my mail box , I will purge it.

Pete

Edited by hazmail

Thanks Dave, I had about 4 threads open, guess I picked the wrong one:lol:- Thanks also for the update on my mail box , I will purge it.

Pete

Pete, I was confused too but thanks just the same. I saw your electronic picture frame and "duh" why didn't I think of that. I've been looking for a place in the garage to set up my old desktop computer for color examples.

Mark, Thanks again, you've been a lot of help!

Luke