leeshelton

Micro Guides

Is the spacing on them the same as regular guides? I plan on using fuji if that matters. Also I'm asuming that you use more guides because they sit closer to the blank. Sorry for all the questions guys, just trying to learn from the pros. B)

Could you give some more info? What type of rod are you building and what guides are you using? Not all micros are the same. Depending on what size and brand you have they can be very different.

If you are building a spinning rod, you won't need to change your spacing. If you're building a casting rod, you'll most likely need more guides unless you use a spiral wrap. The best way to find out is to do a static test. Let the blank tell you how many and where to put them.

jeremy

I'll 2nd Jwags comments.

There isn't a one size fits all answer. Spinning...casting...guides on top...spiral wrap...size of guides...

I normally use the same spacing as I would with normal guides. But I spiral wrap casting rods. With my guides taped on I mount the reel and string the line and load the blank up and see what it all looks like. Its pretty easy to tell if you need more guides or need to readjust the spacing.

I haven't used a spacing chart since my 2nd or 3rd rod...that was 300+ rods ago. Test casting and even just loading up the blank are much more valuable tools.

Edited by Mattman

I'll 2nd Jwags comments.

There isn't a one size fits all answer. Spinning...casting...guides on top...spiral wrap...size of guides...

I normally use the same spacing as I would with normal guides. But I spiral wrap casting rods. With my guides taped on I mount the reel and string the line and load the blank up and see what it all looks like. Its pretty easy to tell if you need more guides or need to readjust the spacing.

I haven't used a spacing chart since my 2nd or 3rd rod...that was 300+ rods ago. Test casting and even just loading up the blank are much more valuable tools.

Mattman, I agree. I don't use spacing charts either. You can't beat doing your own static test to make sure guide spacing is correct.

Leeshelton, if you use a spiral wrap, you'll need fewer guides which will result in less weight and greater sensitivity in the rod tip. I did a simple spiral on my LGM102XH and I love it. I use it to throw 4oz crankbaits to muskies and it casts like a dream. Spirals are a tough sell to most people but if you can get one in their hands, most guys are sold.

jeremy

Thanks for the help. I did my spacing on the first 2 rods I built by taking a factory rod of the same length and marking where the guides were, and it worked pretty good. I didn't know if the chart would help or not. I'll just save my money. :yay: I was really wanting to try the spiral wrap on one of my next rods. I could use some help on that as well.

Edited by leeshelton

Thanks for the help. I did my spacing on the first 2 rods I built by taking a factory rod of the same length and marking where the guides were, and it worked pretty good. I didn't know if the chart would help or not. I'll just save my money. :yay: I was really wanting to try the spiral wrap on one of my next rods. I could use some help on that as well.

There are several different spiral wraps. My personal favorite is the simple spiral. Set your rod up like you normally would with the guides all on top. Leave the butt guide in place and switch the rest of the guides 180 degrees to the bottom of the blank like a spinning rod. Next, place your bumper guide (usually a small single foot guide like a size 6) at 90 degrees halfway between the butt guide and the second guide. Your end result is the butt guide at 0, the bumper at 90, and the 2nd guide at 180.

Tape the guides on the blank and mount your reel and do some testing to make sure the line doesn't touch the blank during the transition to the bottom. You'll also want to make sure that your line doesn't stack to one side of your spool so take several practice casts. If it does, offset your butt guide slightly to make sure the line is coming onto the spool from 0 degrees, not 4 or 5 degrees. I think you'll find that your casting distance won't be affected by a spiral wrap.

jeremy

I prefer a straighter line path to the rod tip so I use a slightly modified Roberts Wrap.

Guides at 25°, 80°, 135° and 170°. The butt guide is 19" - 20" from the face of the reel.

Thru static testing I make sure the line path is as straight as it can get and that the line is touching the guide rings at either the top or the bottom of the ring.

from a 2010 MATAGI rod catalog their spacing chart for a 7'6" casting rod would goes: from the tip; 10,11,12,13,14,15,17,19,23mm. sizing goes 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 8, 10, 12, and16. i will probably start with smaller guides that those listed in the catalog, i.e.: 4,4,4,4,4, 6,8,10, and 12.i have 3 of the same blanks and may build one up as you do. i did email a dealer and ask him for his general spacing guideline. hope this may help.

from a 2010 MATAGI rod catalog their spacing chart for a 7'6" casting rod would goes: from the tip; 10,11,12,13,14,15,17,19,23mm. sizing goes 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 8, 10, 12, and16. i will probably start with smaller guides that those listed in the catalog, i.e.: 4,4,4,4,4, 6,8,10, and 12.i have 3 of the same blanks and may build one up as you do. i did email a dealer and ask him for his general spacing guideline. hope this may help.

In my opinion...5 guides is way more guides than you need to transition from a size 16 to a size 7. I'd do that in 3 sizes. And I do know some that would use 2.

What every works for you. Just an illustration of why I haven't used a spacing chart in years.

I started out with Forhan spiral, moved to Roberts because it seemed to work slicker, and lately to the simple spiral, which is the simplest scheme possible. You read articles on how and why the originators reasoned out their respective schemes and it all seems logical. I still fish rods wrapped in all 3 schemes but the simple spiral works just fine, casts just as far, seems just as sensitive and is a darned sight easier to lay out and build for an amateur bass rod wrapper like me. Is there any difference among the schemes when using micro guides? Dunno!