2TBone

Balsa Pattern

Need some help.

Is there any other way to make a bait pattern other than tracing around the bait. I have done it but, it dosen't look like the bait most of the time. Has anyone tried making a 1/2 body mold of the bait that could be placed on the wood and then traced. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Terry (2TBone)

I still trace an outline of the bait on paper and transfer it to a plastic sheet from which I cut out a pattern. Where the new body differs from the original is usually in how you contour the blank afterward. You can also do a pattern of the top of the bait to help the contouring process along but it still takes shaping by eye to get the body right. A half-body mold could help in shaping if you used it as a "try the fit now" while sanding but I don't see how you could fit a square edged blank into it.

In the past, I used to use a shape copier (a wood workworker's tool for reproducing moldings). It has a series of movable wires that move to get a fairly accurate copy of the shape. I liked to use it for copying the vertical profile of a bait and then make a layout of side view, top view, as well as cross sections at various points along the bait. The simpler methods already mentioned work well for only a side view.

Kent

If you have a photo editing program you could take a picture of the bait, open it in your photo editing program, size it to your specifications and cut out the picture with a pair of scissors to use as an outline. You would need to take the picture at as close to a 90 degree angle as possible to maintain the true ratio aspects of the lure. This could also be done for the top of the lure.

Hi,

I also use the photo printing and paper template. I usually print to self adhesive paper (the one used for labels), then I cut my template with scissors and stick it on to the timber. Using this method I don't have to actually trace the outline of the bait.

Hope this helps

Greetings from Oz

Beto