CedarLakeMusky

Milky Spots?

I epoxied a lure with devcon two ton and let the lure set overnight. It set for about 22 hours and then I tried it in the water. I used the lure for about an hour and when I was done fishing I noticed some milky spots on the lure which looked like it was in the top coat. I put my fingernail in the milky spot and it was soft. When I picked the lure up to use it for the first time the epoxy seemed dry and I didn't notice any tacky spots. So I assume it cured properly? I did use a brush on glitter under the epoxy. Could that have had a reaction with the epoxy? That is where all the milky spots are. Now that the lure is dry I don't notice the milky spots. Can I just put another coat of epoxy over the lure to fix this? Any info would be great!

Thanks

CLM

D2T is somewhat forgiving but if you want a hard topcoat that won't yellow, 2 things: you need to measure it well and you need to mix it really well. Soft spots are caused by failure to mix thoroughly, or leaving some hardener or resin unmixed in the container, then brushing it on the lure. I don't think the glitter had anything to do with it. In summertime, I mix D2T and then mix in a few drops of denatured alcohol to thin the mix slightly and extend the brush time. If you get a soft spot or other goof, a second coating of epoxy will cure it.

Thanks for the info BobP

CLM

D2T is somewhat forgiving but if you want a hard topcoat that won't yellow, 2 things: you need to measure it well and you need to mix it really well. Soft spots are caused by failure to mix thoroughly, or leaving some hardener or resin unmixed in the container, then brushing it on the lure. I don't think the glitter had anything to do with it. In summertime, I mix D2T and then mix in a few drops of denatured alcohol to thin the mix slightly and extend the brush time. If you get a soft spot or other goof, a second coating of epoxy will cure it.

Well I put another coat of devcon on and tried the lure fishing. I fished for awhile and ended up catching a 27 inch Northern. When I was done fishing I noticed there was a hook mark or tooth mark from the fish. It looked like the devcon was coming off in that area. When I peeled the loose devcon off, the paint come off the primer with the devcon. I assume that was from the water working under the paint? Or my paint didn't adhere to my primer? I am going to touch up that area with paint and recoat with devcon. Just thought I would be that experience out there.

CLM

I also use denatured alcohol in my devcon. It works very well in thinning and prolonging brush time by a few minutes. It does not effect the devcon finish after it dries.

If your brush on glitter was not completely dry, this could cause the symptons you're describing. When I use glitter I always have to topcoat a second time at least. After your topcoat is dry, run your finger along the glittered area. If it feels like fine sandpaper not smooth you need a second coat. Also as mentioned before, when mixing your epoxie make sure to get as exact as possible equal amount and mix the heck out of it. If pouring your epoxies, unless you are using a premarked mixing cup, place a piece of masking tape on the outside of your mixing cup. Then using a syringe, measure in water to your cup and mark it on the tape. 1cc, 2cc, etc... Dry out the cup completely, then do your epoxie. Hope this helps.

Tight Lines, bb