GDille

Banjo Minnow Mold

Hey Folks,

I've had several customers ask me about making banjo minnows. I have a few and can make a mold out of plaster, but i was wondering if someone knows where I could find a mold very much like this bait already. I asked about th worm mold last week and thanks for finding what I need guys. I'd be lost without TU

George

I saw a bait on the home page of "jacob's baits". The big white jerk bait. I also looked a bears twitchy minnow, it would be perfect if not for the hook slot/fat belly. Just a basic minnow very thin and hoprfully multiple cavities on the same mold, or several inexpensive molds. Its just nice to have something to keep shooting while the other molds are cooling.

George

I saw a bait on the home page of "jacob's baits". The big white jerk bait. I also looked a bears twitchy minnow, it would be perfect if not for the hook slot/fat belly. Just a basic minnow very thin and hoprfully multiple cavities on the same mold, or several inexpensive molds. Its just nice to have something to keep shooting while the other molds are cooling.

George

You can get a plate from bear to make his twitchies without a hookslot, just have to contact him.

Frank,

The bug eye is almost what i am after, but they customers really are looking for more or less a fluke with the tail the same way as the body. I have tested the minnow against other baits and it just need to have the very slim profile and super soft plastic to make it happen.

BBK,

The profile from the side is perfect on the twitchy minnow, but the belly, even with out the hook slot is too fat as far as I can tell. I would design the bait myself, but the cost to have the new mold cut is almost more that this poor college kid can afford.

I hope I dont come off wrong to anyone, I just can't afford the wrong thing if you know what I mean. Plaster is great but it just is sometimes too much to keep doping anfd even making new molds for my time's sake

Thanks again guys,

George

Hey fellas...do you guys know if the banjo minnow even catches fish.....or fisherman?

They work, not necessarily due to the design but rather how they are fished.

It is a soft jerk bait, has some slits to make it flop around some, originally it was soft plastic, and I bet they changed the plastic because customers complained they did not hold up.

Larry Dahlberg has a big floppy jerk bait he calls Mr. Wiggly and it works.

ME, PP, I have a fluke tailed jerk bait design called FRANKEN MINNOW and in 4 sizes, long floppy tail shank, the design works like a cross between these two.

The key is:

Nose hooking. All of these use a presentation that the lure is hooked through the very nose once and twitched and jerked through the water column or on the bottom. The plastic is near neutral bouyant. What happens is the movement is very erratic with no repetative motion. It is not a stiff glide or rythmic thump of a swim bait that you get with swim bait hooks or texas rigged hooks. Hooking with two points through the lure gives it a steel back bone and eliminates much of the floppy motion and you get more gliding of the lure when retrieved than the nose hooking .

Fish sense vibration and sound and most of all, not familiar to us, pressue waves, much like ripples in the pond. These lures all make unpredictable motions, nothing that is cyclic or repetative which signals to educated fish that it is a bait. The erratic motion makes motion like an injured prey it is believed.

Watch the Banjo minnow videos in youtube and see how they are erratic in the retrevial of the cast.

Edited by Piscivorous Pike

Hey folks,

I know this topic died awhile ago but I found an RTV mold off ebay that is very close to the banjo. It is done by a guy from Oregon. I didnt realize it, but a friend from Pennsylvania referred me to him sometime ago before I was looking for anything custom. His other molds produce some great baits, I haven't sold any because I kept them for myself! I will post some pictures once I get the mold.

P.S. if the person I was bidding against is on here, sorry, I will send you some baits!

Thanks,

George

Hey Folks,

I've had several customers ask me about making banjo minnows. I have a few and can make a mold out of plaster, but i was wondering if someone knows where I could find a mold very much like this bait already. I asked about th worm mold last week and thanks for finding what I need guys. I'd be lost without TU

George

If you have a fluke mold, just use that. It will work just as well as the Banjo Minnow. It's not the shape that catches fish, but the action.

Jonah,

I've tried to explain this to many customers, but they are always right. And I have never had an RTV mold so i wanted to try something new.

George

As Nova said, you need to be careful when/if you are going to reproduce someone else's bait. Look at Lurecraft, they have a lot of RTV fluke molds, you might find something close.