504BASSMASTER

Beginning Hard Bait Making

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Tackle Underground and will like to find out some good video or book resources to show me how to begin making hard baits. Can anyone reccomend some good resources to me. I am a Wounded Warrior with plenty time on my hands due to my injuries and want to fill some of that empty time building baits. Thank everyone in advance for their suggestions.

504 BASSMASTER

504BASMASTER,

First of all, thank you for all you've done for all of us. It is appreciated, and recognized for the sacrifice it is.

Second, I would recommend you google lure making videos. That's a good way to see what's out there, in commercial terms.

The search feature on this site will lead to hours of reading and resources.

It would help us to know what kind of lures you want to make.

Cranks, topwaters, swimbaits, the list goes on and on, and each has it's own quirks, which we would be happy to try and help you with.

We've probably made most of the mistakes that can be made already, and I'm sure all of us would look forward to a chance to repay, in some small part, your service to us with our help.

Edited by mark poulson

504, Go here: http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/forum/48-hardbait-how-to/ for some member submitted tutorials on crankbait construction. For specific questions, use the little Search bar (upper right hand of the page). Just type in a subject and you will get a bunch of info and opinions on 'how to do it'. TU has been up and running for several years and there are thousands of questions/answers available. I can't think of a subject that hasn't been covered in depth! Welcome to the circus :)

What kind of wood or material have you been making your lures out of?

As for air brush kits, there are a lot of websites that sell air brushes and all the accessories.

Here's on, but I'm not endorsing it over any others. It's just one that has a lot of stuff, and will give you an overview of what's available.

http://www.coastairbrush.com/categories.asp?cat=10

A good quality air brush will make your learning process less painful. It is still a trial and error deal, but I found the Iwata brushes the most trouble free, and the easiest to paint with, clean, and service. A .035 needle is fine enough to do good painting and still not require too much thinning or fooling around with the paints to begin with. I wouldn't go any finer until you've really learned how to paint, and are looking for something specific, like a fine detail brush.

Like BobP said (a great source for crank info) stencils are your friend, too.

I'm so bad at details that I use sharpies to draw the lines that other guys paint easily.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but there are a ton of air brush threads here that you can access with the search feature. The more you read, the more familiar the terms and concepts will become, and the easier it will be for you to retrace your steps and find answers to the questions you are going to have when you start painting.

Be prepared to struggle at first. Most of us did, and still do sometimes.

Unless you're an artist, like some here, the learning curve can be long and seemingly flat, and then, all of a sudden, you'll find you can paint! All it takes is practice, practice, practice. Kind of like time on the water. ;)

Good luck, and let us see your stuff in progress.

Edited by mark poulson

Thanks for the link to the airbrush kit, but does anyone know of a much cheaper kit for a beginner on a budget. Also, does anyone have a used set that they are willing to sell?

504 Bassmaster

If you're wanting a cheaper setup to start with, Badger has siphon airbrushes that are less expensive.

If I were you, I'd save up and get a better brush to begin with, because it makes learning to paint so much easier.

If you're wanting a cheaper setup to start with, Badger has siphon airbrushes that are less expensive.

If I were you, I'd save up and get a better brush to begin with, because it makes learning to paint so much easier.

Thank you for your service.

I can't add much to what the others have to say but I do agree get a quality airbrush to start it will pay off.

One thing you must realize when starting this hobby, it is quite addictive. In a short time of sawing, sanding, carving, paint fumes and glue sniffing you will be stumbling around the shop talking to yourself just like the rest of us.

Edited by whittler

Thank you for your service.

I can't add much to what the others have to say but I do agree get a quality airbrush to start it will pay off.

One thing you must realize when starting this hobby, it is quite addictive. In a short time of sawing, sanding, carving, paint fumes and glue sniffing you will be stumbling around the shop talking to yourself just like the rest of us.

AMEN....