BassNator 1

Hardest Part of Making Lures!

Ok guys, I have to admit it! Ive met my match! On my next order Im gonna have to either double or triple my split ring order! The Hardest thing I have encountered in making up my cranks is putting on the split rings! If Im not bending them out of wack, Im shooting them across the room to be never found again. I have the inexpensive Split Ring Pliers, but it doesnt help at all!! I started seperating the ring with a small screw driver. But again, its a very difficult task! Any suggestions on that would be appreciated cause, my fingernails are gone and I want to keep my eyes! 8O

I am also showing you all my New lures that I had a chance to swim the other day! WOW, I impressed myself! I didnt make anchors! They actually swam in the 6 foot range except for my Poes imitation deep diver. He got down to the 10 foot range and he had a SUPER TIGHT wiggle! Pretty cool! SO I have the plans down with the right weight, Im gonna crank some out and get them ready for my first Tourney of the year April 10! Tell me what you think! Cody

lures_101.jpg

lures_101.jpg

lures_101.jpg

lures_101.jpg

lures_101.jpg

lures_101.jpg

lures_101.jpg

lures_101.jpg

478_thumb.attach

Hey Guys, I will take heed and invest in some better pliers.

Jed the top bait is a Balsa Bait that I carved down from a Balsa Block. He is a Poes Imitation of a deep diver and I inserted weight on the inside. I was very stingy on the lead and I can get away with adding more to future baits. In practice he got down to the 10 foot deep range with a real tight wiggle! He is painted yellow with brown on the top and a red brown on bottom with stripes and with a clear glitter paint top of that, then Devcon 2 ton epoxy.

The Dee baits I made are out of Poplar with weight inside them and an Aluminum foil embossing and also a Gold Foil embossing from foil bought in the Arts & Crafts store at the Candy Making area. I airbrushed some black and white with a hint of red and covered that with clear glitter paint and Devcon 2 ton epoxy. The Golden one had the same colors applied as the Balsa bait. Thanks for the words! Cody

Here's the easiest wayI've found to install split rings:

- Grip the split ring with the tips of needlenose pliers. Make sure the opening of the split ring is facing up.

- Hold the pliers firmly against your benchtop.

- Carefully and firmly grasp the hook and press the ring of the hook into the splitring. It will take a little practice, but you can force the splitring to open enough to get the hook started.

- Slide the hook partially around the splitring, leaving the splitring open.

- Insert the wire of your crankbait.

- Slide the hook and crankbait around the splitring at the same time.

- Done. Go fish!