CTBASS56

Drilling An Aluminum Mold

Quick question here folks:

My idea is this, I want to drill a few small holes in my aluminum stick bait mold. It is a 5 cavity injection mold from bears. The point is that the plastic will fill the small holes creating a dimple effect at both ends of the bait, creating a little different look and possibly slightly different action.

Is it possible to drill a small hole in an aluminum mold with a regular drill and a regular small bit? OR is the aluminum to hard and strong to drill through?

What do you guys think??

My idea is this, I want to drill a few small holes in my aluminum stick bait mold. It is a 5 cavity injection mold from bears. The point is that the plastic will fill the small holes creating a dimple effect at both ends of the bait, creating a little different look and possibly slightly different action.

Is it possible to drill a small hole in an aluminum mold with a regular drill and a regular small bit? OR is the aluminum to hard and strong to drill through?

What do you guys think??

It's best to use a drill press w/light pressure or you'll snap a small drill bit. Lube the drill bit w/oil to keep cool.

I work with aluminum everyday at work. If the drill gets hot the aluminum will load up the drill bit and break. Also run the drill bit at a high rpm helps keep the drill cool because it is taking a smaller chip with the fast speed. It sounds to me that you are just going to be putting small dimples in the mold and that should be easy to do. But use a drill press so that the drill will run at a 90 degree angle to the mold and you should have no problems.

Henry

seems to me that drilling the mold would create an appendage or bump rather than a dimple...but I'm easily confused.

Hi

You are right it would be a bump on the finished bait. But it would be a dimple or small hole in the mold. If you only go say .01 deep in the mold then you would end up with a .01 bump on the bait.

Henry

What do you guys think??

I tried this on a mold allready, It did not do what I wanted it to do, but it was on a open pour mold maybe an injection mold will be different? Let us know what happens.