bobv

Where's Dick?

Anyone else having trouble getting a hold of someone at Dick Nite? Emailed an order a couple weeks ago and followed up with a phone call, had to leave a message,and haven't heard from them. Never had any problem before and I'm running short on top coat!

having the same issues, but it was only to request a sample. its been almost 2 months since the phone convo/email request.

hope all is ok.

Talked with Dick last week and said he was have vender problems. He said he should have everything to mix his clear coat this week. God I hope I have around 3000 spoons ready for clear coat.

Hey Folks!

Sorry for not being responsive - the proverbial perfect storm hit about 2 months ago and we have been running around like heads with our chickens cut off!

A bit of background first - remember the vendor issue I had last year, where they simply stopped making the component? Well, turns out the replacement I found was simply a repackaged product from my original supplier - I had discovered the shortage before the "new" vendor did. When I went to order the second time, they too told me that it was no longer available.

I have since tried 3 different components and none of them produce the same resulting product.

All is NOT lost though, for 2 reasons:

1. I am still (when I say "I", I mean 3 different chemical suppliers) searching for a replacement for the original component.

2. I have come up with a completely different top-coat. Still in testing, and I won't release it until it is at least as good as the old.

2.a. This is a water reduceable one-part clear that in initial testing stands up as well as the old moisture cure with none of the storage or handling problems of the old one.

2.b. This product should pose none of the bleeding problems users had with the old top coat - it should go over water based paints without heat setting.

2.c. There should be no problem with reacting to different types of color, primer, or eyes and the like.

I am looking for a few of you guys to do some testing for me - I know this is probably asking a lot, but the community testing on many different types of surfaces will be much more complete than my testing on my spoons alone. You guys are the experts on each of your different lures.

If you are interested in trying out a sample, free of charge, free shipping, with the only cost being a report back to me about how it works for you and what you use it on, I would really appreciate putting an end to this polyurethand component vendor hell I (and you) have been going through.

I don't expect to get this testing done for free - if you decide to test for me, after it is all done, for your help, I will send you a gallon of the product we finally decide on.

Those interested, please email me with your shipping address and phone number. If you have ordered top-coat from me before, you will have priority, since you will be able to compare it with the old. I have 20 spots open for testing (that's all I have of product to send out...).

I will email back and let you know if you are in and with the tracking number for UPS.

I am hoping to send out samples as soon as 9/20 (wholesaler show in Portland, Oregon all next week).

Thanks for your help guys, I really am sorry for the problems with keeping the old top-coat available - I have rattled so many cages out there in the vendor world I'm starting to feel like a zoo-keeper!

Email address to send information to: testing@dicknite.com

Thanks again for all your patience - I really think this is going to be a better product with less hassle along with being more environmentally friendly (which equals less vendor problems).

Dick Figgins

Dick Nite Spoons, Inc.

PO Box 175

Lake Stevens, WA 98258

800-324-5651

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PELG

Check this out. Works well. Feels like DN.

My oldest lures are 14 months but holding up great.

Create a tough, incredibly "deep" clear finish with Pelucid™.

PELUCID™ is one of the most advanced single component clear coats in the world. It's super clear, super glossy, and unbelievably tough!

Spray or brush this non-yellowing single-component clear coat over painted or unpainted fiberglass, wood, and other interior surfaces that need a clear lustrous finish. The tough, yet flexible, coating dries clear as water, with a rock-hard finish that won't crack, chip, or peel.

It's self leveling, which means it won't leave harsh brush marks. It can be recoated in 5 to 10 minutes, depending on humidity, and will withstand temperatures up to 400 F. Two coats should always be applied, to achieve maximum beauty and protection.

PELUCID™ has excellent adhesion qualities, and is highly chemical resistant. Check it out yourself!

15oz..Spray.... $34.95

Pint................ $24.25

Quart............. $42.00

Gallon............ $154.25

WARNING: THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS CHEMICALS KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER, BIRTH DEFECTS OR OTHER REPRODUCTIVE HARM.

post-14402-032015400 1284142190_thumb.jpg

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PELG

Check this out. Works well. Feels like DN.

My oldest lures are 14 months but holding up great.

Create a tough, incredibly "deep" clear finish with Pelucid™.

PELUCID™ is one of the most advanced single component clear coats in the world. It's super clear, super glossy, and unbelievably tough!

Spray or brush this non-yellowing single-component clear coat over painted or unpainted fiberglass, wood, and other interior surfaces that need a clear lustrous finish. The tough, yet flexible, coating dries clear as water, with a rock-hard finish that won't crack, chip, or peel.

It's self leveling, which means it won't leave harsh brush marks. It can be recoated in 5 to 10 minutes, depending on humidity, and will withstand temperatures up to 400 F. Two coats should always be applied, to achieve maximum beauty and protection.

PELUCID™ has excellent adhesion qualities, and is highly chemical resistant. Check it out yourself!

15oz..Spray.... $34.95

Pint................ $24.25

Quart............. $42.00

Gallon............ $154.25

WARNING: THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS CHEMICALS KNOWN TO THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO CAUSE CANCER, BIRTH DEFECTS OR OTHER REPRODUCTIVE HARM.

THIS WORKS EVEN BETTER!!!

GLISTEN PC is a High Gloss, Rock Hard, Water-clear topcoat designed for spray or brush application over all metal surfaces, including highly polished aluminum and chrome surfaces. GLISTEN PC will not leave brushmarks, and will dry in less than one hour, but will take 3-4 days to reach maximum hardness.

When GLISTEN PC is first dry to the touch, it will appear to be very soft. Avoid touching it for several days until it becomes hard and tough. Accidental contact could damage the surface before full cure has taken place. Like many other coatings, GLISTEN PC is a MOISTURE-CURED coating, which means it is strengthened by exposure to moisture. It will never crack, chip, peel, or yellow, and is very flexible as well.

Hey Rookie, I see Glisten PC is a 2 part clear. I believe you about the performance but am wondering if it is like auto clears that have a pot life of only a few hours after mixing and are also toxic, requiring vapor protection against isocyanates in the product?

I haven't used that stuff in sometime but when I did I brushed it on and used a fresh air supply mask along with a protection suit and rubber gloves. You made a great point about saftey. So don't use this stuff unless you got the right protection and place to do it. I haven't used it in sometime.. The dry time takes too long!!! Plus, It doesn't work on foiled baits unless you undercoat them with epoxy first....I just thought it was interesting when that other guy posted a POR15 product.. Most guys don't know about it! Never tried the spary can stuff so I might just be talking out of my butt as usual..the other guy might be on to something better and it does seem like it would be a whole lot easier to just spary and go!!! It wouldn't be the first time I put my foot in my mouth!

The Rookie

I haven't used that stuff in sometime but when I did I brushed it on and used a fresh air supply mask along with a protection suit and rubber gloves. You made a great point about saftey. So don't use this stuff unless you got the right protection and place to do it. I haven't used it in sometime.. The dry time takes too long!!! Plus, It doesn't work on foiled baits unless you undercoat them with epoxy first....I just thought it was interesting when that other guy posted a POR15 product.. Most guys don't know about it! Never tried the spary can stuff so I might just be talking out of my butt as usual..the other guy might be on to something better and it does seem like it would be a whole lot easier to just spary and go!!! It wouldn't be the first time I put my foot in my mouth!

The Rookie

rookie

I never tried the spray.

The liquid is just like DN in every respect.

I have found it a great replacement to DN

I also still use D2T depending on the application.

rookie

I never tried the spray.

The liquid is just like DN in every respect.

I have found it a great replacement to DN

I also still use D2T depending on the application.

Rookie

Could not PM you so here

I never had a problem curing to a hard finish in about 2 days.

I have fished some small ones in 24 hours.

I do however live in Alabama where the prevailing humidity is always about 150%, so that probably explains it.

It is good stuff and has replaced DN for me.

DUCBOS

Their use directions says...

Pelucid is not suitable for outdoor environments.

Do they mean it should be applied indoors, not outside? I'm missing something.

If it works so well on lures, why do you think they would say that? I'm confused.

Any clarity would be appreciated.

Thanks.

John

John,

In my experience Pelucid works ok outside once set. I would not like to apply it outside as I would think it catch alot of air contaminants and as I understand it, until set it should avoid water. I know its moisture cured, however, curing via moisture in the air is significantly different to being exposed to water. I didnt use it for too long though as drying time was way too long for me.

Angus

Hey Rookie, I see Glisten PC is a 2 part clear. I believe you about the performance but am wondering if it is like auto clears that have a pot life of only a few hours after mixing and are also toxic, requiring vapor protection against isocyanates in the product?

I bought a small can of Glisten PC some time back. I only appled them to a couple of lures. It is as advertised on self leveling when brushed on. The bait doesn't need to be turned either and it goes on really thin. If I remember right you apply one coat wait 45 min and apply another coat. On the first lure I applied the two coats per the instructions. It seemed to work pretty decent, but the clear coat was very thin. On the second lure I applied 4-5 coats [30 min between]. About a week later each coat flaked off down to the original coat. I never used it again. I didn't feel one coat would provide enough protection. Perhaps I did it wrong but that was my experience......

I think curing time is critical with any top coat.

I use a water based "interior" urethane by Target Coatings, and the instructions say to wait 2 hours between coats.

I dip my lures in a salsa dipping jar.

I've played around with it, and found that I can cut the recoat time to an hour, if I hit the lure with a hair dryer on low after a half hour, and once again 15 minutes later.

The heat setting also seems to make the coating stronger, since I've never had a failure, while others who use the same brand have reported problems. As far as I can figure out, the heat setting is the only thing I do differently.

I typically do two coats on cranks, and three on swimbaits, or cranks I've made from PVC.

Pretty interesting read on some wood finishes...go here for the full article

http://www.mar-k.com/wood_finish_testing_i.html

This is on Pelucid...

""Pelucid This coating seemed to be the most durable of the coatings tested. It is a one part “moisture cure” urethane made by POR 15. It developed a very small area of separation of the coatings, and also a small hairline crack in the finish which allowed moisture to penetrate to the wood substrate. Both failures occurred near the end of the test period. Another concern with the Pelucid is that the boards coated with Pelucid darkened noticeably during the test period. Pelucid goes on practically water clear so the boards were initially very light colored. During the course of the test, the boards coated with Pelucid darkened more than the other coatings. This may have been caused by the sunlight and the coating lacking sufficient UV protection to prevent discoloring. We will include Pelucid in the next test series.

""

Matt

Pretty interesting read on some wood finishes...go here for the full article

http://www.mar-k.com/wood_finish_testing_i.html

This is on Pelucid...

""Pelucid This coating seemed to be the most durable of the coatings tested. It is a one part “moisture cure” urethane made by POR 15. It developed a very small area of separation of the coatings, and also a small hairline crack in the finish which allowed moisture to penetrate to the wood substrate. Both failures occurred near the end of the test period. Another concern with the Pelucid is that the boards coated with Pelucid darkened noticeably during the test period. Pelucid goes on practically water clear so the boards were initially very light colored. During the course of the test, the boards coated with Pelucid darkened more than the other coatings. This may have been caused by the sunlight and the coating lacking sufficient UV protection to prevent discoloring. We will include Pelucid in the next test series.

""

Matt

Great information on the study Matt.

All things considered I have been happy with it. I have baits that are 14-15 months out and do not see any darkening or yellowing. they are really tough when cured. Rookie says that it takes longer to cure than DN, but I think that depends on the humidity, since it is moisture not heat cured. I never read anything about not using it outdoors, Good thing I didn't I guess.

Great information on the study Matt.

All things considered I have been happy with it. I have baits that are 14-15 months out and do not see any darkening or yellowing. they are really tough when cured. Rookie says that it takes longer to cure than DN, but I think that depends on the humidity, since it is moisture not heat cured. I never read anything about not using it outdoors, Good thing I didn't I guess.

Ya it was a good read. The study tested them all outside and pelucid did the best just darkened a bit wich could be a little troublesome to us. Have you noticed any darkening on your baits DUCBOS? If I cant test DN's new formula and if it wont be out for awhile then im gonna have to get a replacement soon. I would much rather give Dick my money tho as he always takes care of us here.

John, "Not for use outside" means it's not recommended for coating your garden bench - but that doesn't necessarily speak to whether it is suitable for a crankbait which lives in a very different environment: short repeated immersions in water, not for days but for a few hours. Much less UV exposure and expansion/contraction compared to wood surfaces that live outdoors. More impacts against hard objects or teeth. I'm not implying all of us should switch to interior grade coatings!, just that coatings are not formulated and marketed with the wood crankbait builder in mind and you have to interpolate their claims and marketing to your distinct requirements. No one topcoat can ever satisfy the needs of all builders (and rarely all the desires of one builder!) - you have to choose according to the qualities important to you and what you consider "good enough" for your crankbaits.