21 replies to this topic

#21 Pitbull Baits

Pitbull Baits

Formerly King Bait Co.

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:43 AM

I use Cabela's rip cord on my frog rod. Its better than what I have used before and is close to Power Pro plus its cheaper.

#22 BobP

BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,250 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

One basic to mention about braid that's easy to forget - Always put some mono on the spool before you spool on the braid. Braid has no stretch so it will not grip the spool like mono. Without mono backing and under strain, it will spin on the spool and you will think your drag has failed.

One braid gripe occurred to me while fishing yesterday. I was trying braid with a fluoro leader to fish an unweighted Super Fluke. With mono or fluoro, you can usually feel a bite on a plastic bait even if the fish picks it up and swims toward the boat. With braid, that isn't so. It's very strong when pulled but if you push on braid, the weave basically collapses and transmits no vibration up the line. It also floats so it's not ideal for fishing plastics with light or no weight, IMO.

JMHO, braid is great for fishing plastics or moving baits like a lipless crankbait in heavy grass. Otherwise, I'd rather be throwing fluorocarbon.