Sounder Lures

Lightest Casting Resin

I am making large saltwater divers and need to lighten the body of the plug. I am looking at going to two halves with hollow center, but that complicates matters. What is a good casting resin, paintable, that is super light?

No need to make it hollow. Just use a 50/50 blend of Resin amd 3M Microspheres (micro balloons, search TU for info). Much easier to cast and easier to make the mold.

TRY THIS!!!! see if it helps..

SHAKE UP YOUR RESIN REAL GOOD BEFORE YOU POUR YOUR 2 CUPS OUT

POUR OUT CUP A

POUR OUT CUP B

GO INSIDE YOUR HOUSE IF YOUR DOING THIS IN YOUR GARAGE... and WATCH TV FOR 20 to 30 mins... LET YOUR CUPS WITH THE RESIN SIT IN OPEN AIR! You live in FL so HUMDITY IS YOUR FRIEND....sometimes it can be too HOT!!! But you might only need to wait 15 mins..that is trial and error brother..

Ok now that your done watching sportscenter... Now add your Microballons to each cup 50/50 mix like husky said.. or maybe try 45/55... or even 40/60.. The more Micro you add the lighter it gets but the weaker it gets too!! BUT if you let your cups air out for 20 to 30 mins.. I PROMISE YOUR STUFF WILL EXPAND LIKE CRAZY AND BE LIGHTER!! YOU WILL GET A BIG MUSHROOM FROM THE POUR HOLE!! and your bait should be lighter!

GOOD LUCK HOPE THIS HELPS.

anyone ever tried using another substitution for micro balloon?

Have you tried using the two part ultra lite urethane resin manufactured by Smooth-On. This is a simple two component material, easy to use, beautifully pourable into the mould. It is also odour free. The resultant bait is extremely light. I hope tis is of help

TRY THIS!!!! see if it helps..

SHAKE UP YOUR RESIN REAL GOOD BEFORE YOU POUR YOUR 2 CUPS OUT

POUR OUT CUP A

POUR OUT CUP B

GO INSIDE YOUR HOUSE IF YOUR DOING THIS IN YOUR GARAGE... and WATCH TV FOR 20 to 30 mins... LET YOUR CUPS WITH THE RESIN SIT IN OPEN AIR! You live in FL so HUMDITY IS YOUR FRIEND....sometimes it can be too HOT!!! But you might only need to wait 15 mins..that is trial and error brother..

Ok now that your done watching sportscenter... Now add your Microballons to each cup 50/50 mix like husky said.. or maybe try 45/55... or even 40/60.. The more Micro you add the lighter it gets but the weaker it gets too!! BUT if you let your cups air out for 20 to 30 mins.. I PROMISE YOUR STUFF WILL EXPAND LIKE CRAZY AND BE LIGHTER!! YOU WILL GET A BIG MUSHROOM FROM THE POUR HOLE!! and your bait should be lighter!

GOOD LUCK HOPE THIS HELPS.

Rookie,

If the resin expands so much from the moisture in the air, wouldn't that make it more buoyant, and let you add the lower ration of micro to keep up the strength?

Mark, who has never cast resin baits in his life.

TATER.....THIS WORKS FOR ME....FOR MOST OF MY LURES I USE 1 t SPOON OF EACH RESIN IN EACH CUP..... 1\2 t spoon micro in each cup....i use popsicle sticks to stir with.....when your mold is ready mix part A (clear) thoroughly.....then with a paper towel i wipe off the end i was stirring with and then i stick the other end into a cup of water (3/4in deep) and shake it a couple times ....actually you should try to shake all water off.....then mix part b thoroughly with the dampened end......pour part a into part b and mix well....you will feel the cup warming as you stir.....then pour into your mold.....i GUARANTEE it will foam and will also be lighter......hope this helps...nugene