bigbrown

Paint for Plugs

If your new to this then I would start off with some Balsa Wood. Balsa wood is very easy to work with. This is what I started off with myself. All I did was get a chunk of Balsa from the Arts and Crafts store bring it home and cut out a ruff cut of my design with a Scroll Saw and just used a wooden rasp to rasp away the edges. I moved from Coarse to Fine Sanding in a few minutes, but start to finish with Balsa wood you can bang out a lure in a few minutes! I made a good 6 lures just using the Balsa. And learnt the entire time I did this. I have gotten a little more confident in what I was doing and could do, so I moved up to Poplar. I actually bought a 3/4 thick Poplar board from Home Depot and cut out my designs from that and just rounded the corners making Flat sided baits. Poplar is IMHO kind of like Pine in its softness. I would not reccommend using Oak if youre just starting out. Oak is a very TUFF wood and could be discouraging to use ESPECIALLY for the first time. My hats off to you if you do it, just not how I would start off! ALways remember in learning the Baby approach. To be able to walk as a young baby, you had to crawl, of course your first few times at steps you fell right on your backside.... but when was the last time you did that? BABY STEPS FIRST! Scroll down to past postings and look at some of the tutorials. They helped me out a lot and helped me figure out what to do. The time and energy these guys have put into their posts and tutorials is invaluable and priceless and what a help it was for me! Im sure you can do your homework first, then give it a try. The info is here.... You just got to decypher what you learn versus what you want to accomplish. This board, the guys who post and have displayed tutorials have helped me in gaining some useful knowledge on lure building and getiing me ready to hopefully catch some fish. But with all else being said, Im doing it to take away the pain of the cold and ice up here in the North, and taking up a new hobby that besides being on the water fishing, is just a FLAT OUT BLAST!

Sorry Big Brown, I got carried away last post and didnt say ANYTHING about paint. Some of the guys here use a Laquer paint that you can get at Lowes or Home Depot in the paint department. I personally use Createx which is a Water Based Enamel. Its actually used for Airbrushing T-Shirts. You can get that at most any Arts and Crafts Store. Createx also makes an Auto Air Brush Paint.. a little more money but some guys spray that as well. Some also use any type of water based enamel that you can get at Wal-Mart. Thats the LEAST EXPENSIVE! Some bottles I have purchased were under a dollar a bottle. Using the Water Based enamel, I have found out a few things. If you screwed up your paint job, run a little warm water over it... a tiny bit of elbow grease and you can start over! It peels right off! Also you must be careful when you go to put your top coat on as it will or could run. On my lures I actually put a clear glitter paint over the paint job before I clear coat it and it acts as a paint sealer. Then the Devcon 2 ton clear coat and its like glass! If you do a search on past posts on this site there are a lot of posts on paints and types everyone uses. You got to pick out which way to go and use it. The only info I can give you on my choice is that the water based enamel is VERY EASY to use and clean! I like things simple and easy. Cody

For many years I used regular latex enamel house paint through an airbrush. I use One and Only brand from Lowes. You only need a pint of the colors that you want and it will last for over 100 baits. It is only about 3.00 a pint. Thin it with water. On hardwoods I wipe on a coat of polyurathane with a rag to seal the wood a little. It keeps the paint from soaking down into the wood while and after it is painted. The only real problem with this type of painting is that you have to let one color dry for 12 to 24 hours before you go to the next color. Small mistakes can be wiped off with a clean damp rag. As Cody said, clear coat with Devcon. The bait and the paint job will last a very long time. I have baits that I still use that I made over 3 years ago and they still look good. Little knicks and scratches will happen no matter what type of clear coat that you use. It is just a fact that can't be helped. But the paint jobs on these lures are still solid and bright. Cleanup for the airbrush is done with hot soapy water in a butter bucket.

On the wood..... get rid of the oak idea. The wood is just too dense. Balsa would be my recommendation to begin with. It is easy to work with and is very forgiving as far as weighting. If hardwood is your bag... then try pine, poplar, or cedar.

Skeeter

thanks!!! i think that i will get some balsa and carve some lures up. I have painted alot of lures before but i really havnt made them myself. I live in bend oregon, the mecca of all trophy brown trout fishing, i love it here!!!! i like to paint rainbow trout colored plugs because that really knocks them dead in paulina lake and wickiup res. thanks again for the tips on paint/painting and the kind of wood to use this really helps me out.