CedarLakeMusky

Musky Lure Builders

I was wondering what the musky lure builders are using for topcoat epoxy? I have tried D2T and I am now trying Etex. Could you let me know what you have tried and how it holds up?

I thought about putting a coat of D2T on first and then a few coats of Etex. Has anybody tried this? Any info would be great!

Thank you

CLM

I started out using Etex but I've made the switch to Diamond II by Bullard International. It's manufactured as a rod building epoxy for thread wraps but it does wonderfully on lures. I hated having to put lots of coats of Etex on (it's a light build) and I was also frustrated by the amount of dust that Etex seems to attract. Diamond II is a medium build so it's just slightly thicker. You don't need as many coats and it levels like water. Don't think of Flex Coat high build- it's nothing like that. It get's rock hard and it's clarity is also superior to Etex.

jeremy

Edited by Jwags

I started out using Etex but I've made the switch to Diamond II by Bullard International. It's manufactured as a rod building epoxy for thread wraps but it does wonderfully on lures. I hated having to put lots of coats of Etex on (it's a light build) and I was also frustrated by the amount of dust that Etex seems to attract. Diamond II is a medium build so it's just slightly thicker. You don't need as many coats and it levels like water. Don't think of Flex Coat high build- it's nothing like that. It get's rock hard and it's clarity is also superior to Etex.

jeremy

Interesting....Does it yellow at all?

Does it have any UV protectors?

Jeremy

I have also noticed that Etex seems to attract dust. How many coats of Etex where you putting on? Did it seem to hold up well when caughting musky? Thanks for letting me know about Diamond II.

Scott

jeremy

@Fatfingers

Like all epoxies, it will yellow over time. But I can definitely tell you that it won't yellow near as quickly as Etex. I've seen white rods that are years old that have Diamond II on them and they are still perfectly white. It does not have UV inhibitors in it.

@CedarLakeMusky

I now use about 2/3's as many coats with Diamond II as I used with Etex. It was so frustrating for me to put lures on the drying wheel and end up with dust spots on them when I checked them hours later- that doesn't happen to me anymore with Diamond II. I was pretty happy with Etex's durability but I've found Diamond II to be a bit better.

jeremy

I use an epoxy that states it is made for "Do It Best" brand. Similar to Devcon, clear, 60 min. set time. I brush it on and one large musky lure is about all I can do before it starts to tack off. By brushing on thin I don't have to use a turning wheel. One coat does the job and seems to last good. No peeling problems or undue hook wear problems. Sometimes I wonder if it has to much shine? Is there something similar that doesn't shine quite as much, would love a spray on type. Thanks for the help. Musky Glenn

@Fatfingers

Like all epoxies, it will yellow over time. But I can definitely tell you that it won't yellow near as quickly as Etex. I've seen white rods that are years old that have Diamond II on them and they are still perfectly white. It does not have UV inhibitors in it.

@CedarLakeMusky

I now use about 2/3's as many coats with Diamond II as I used with Etex. It was so frustrating for me to put lures on the drying wheel and end up with dust spots on them when I checked them hours later- that doesn't happen to me anymore with Diamond II. I was pretty happy with Etex's durability but I've found Diamond II to be a bit better.

jeremy

Thanks, Jeremy.

I use an epoxy that states it is made for "Do It Best" brand. Similar to Devcon, clear, 60 min. set time. I brush it on and one large musky lure is about all I can do before it starts to tack off. By brushing on thin I don't have to use a turning wheel. One coat does the job and seems to last good. No peeling problems or undue hook wear problems. Sometimes I wonder if it has to much shine? Is there something similar that doesn't shine quite as much, would love a spray on type. Thanks for the help. Musky Glenn

I use the same "Do It Best" epoxy, except I us the 30 min. It does tack up quickly. I have found it is much easier to work with when thinned with denatured alcohol. This stuff is as tough, if not tougher, than D2T. It is also packaged as "Power Poxy for Pros". I haven't noticed any yellowing, and if there is.....the musky have not complained about it yet.

--CheapTrix--