Jump to content
Blisters In Finish For Devcon 2 Ton
4 replies to this topic
Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:31 PM
Help! Last year i learned how to make molds and pour hard plastic baits. I have used Devcon 2 ton for 30 years and have never had a finish problem until recently. The finish on so many recently made baits has blistered and after cutting into one lure it appears as though the paint may be blistering as well. In the spring of this year I finally purchased an air brush and now use Createx Water based air brush paint. When I pour a bait I spray the mold with mold release,pour the bait with micro balloons for floating or suspending lures, usually have to sand the lure, spray with a few coats of spray enamel, paint and then brush on Devcon 2 ton. This site has been a great help and while i have a long way to go with regards to using the air brush there is no comparision between the baits that were rattle can painted vs the air brush. At this point I feel that the problem is either with the paint, the spray enamel or could possibly be that it had never occured to me that maybe I should clean the lure to after demolding in order to get rid of any mold release. Any advise would be greatley appreciated as it is very frustrating to see som many lures with blisters. thanks
Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:01 AM
I've never poured a hard plastic or resin bait, so any issues with offgassing are better left to others.
But I have had top coat failures with D2T, and I use Createx, so I can comment on that.
Other than water intrusion from cracks in the epoxy due to impacts (operator error), all my problems can be traced to solvent or moisture trapped under the top coat.
My failures were from not heat setting each coat of paint, starting with the rattle can primer, enough to insure that either all the solvent was driven off, in the case of rattle can paints, or that the molecular cross linking had taken place and all the water was driven off, in the case of water based paints.
Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:13 AM
My guess is that the c-tex and primer are not happy together. Try switching brands of primer. I use painters touch primer and have never had an issue of paint lifting. Maybe a light scuffing of the primer for better adhesion would solve the problem.
Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:40 PM
It might be the WB paint but it isn't any of the other items you mentioned. I had the same problem with 2-ton on resin baits and I applied the paint directly to the bait w/o any of the other items you mentioned. And get this the baits would look perfect for months until they got wet or I shipped them to a real humid part of the country. I would heat set them until the paint nearly bubbled and I still had the same problem. I personally think it is something in the resin or ballons that cause it. Maybe the micro holes in the bait itself let water in, who knows??? I started dipping my resin baits in Dick Nite and I've never had a problem since. I love 2-ton but I will not use it on my resin baits.
Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:43 PM
Thanks for the replies. Gunnie3035, The problem I am having is the same as yours in that the baits look great for months and then the blisters appear. At this point I am not sure if it is the heat(I live in North Carolina). Planning on making several different baits some with enamel base coat , some with out. Some of the baits I may put in the oven for a little while before the first coat. I am planning on marking each bait so i will know how they were finished the problem is it may be several months before i know what works if anything. Thanks again