troutgnat

Making Stencils

Gentlemen,

I purchased some mylar sheeting from Wal-Mart a while back. It is made for cutting out stencils. I made some stenciling patterns I wanted and trimmed them out. My problem is I find this material very durable but it is a little hard to work with on crankbaits. Does anyone know of a better material to use for cutting stencils to use for different markings on crankbaits. I need something I can wrap around the bait and hold in place a little better for painting...........D

Hi troutgnat

One material I found quite easy to work with is Masking tape. This tape has a mild glue that makes it easily removable after you are done with it.

You can make patterns for rounded body cranckbaits, stick it on, paint and then remove it (carefully) and re-use it. It comes in different widths.

You can also use self adhesive paper (used for labels). The main advantage of this material is that you can design your pattern in your computer an print it directly to the sheet, then use your Xacto knife to cut your pattern and that's it!

Hope this helps

Greetings from Oz

Humberto

I use frisket, which is a thin plastic film with adhesive and a peel-off paper backing. It's designed for airbrushing. It cuts easily with an Xacto knife, which is a big consideration when you want detail. It's meant to peel off the paper backing and stick the film onto the surface to be painted. I leave the backing on so I can use the stencil for both sides of the bait, plus keep it for other crankbaits later. If you want to peel and stick the frisket, be sure to buy some with very light tack or you'll find that it pulls paint off the bait. You can get frisket at arts and crafts shops or online suppliers. A 12" wide roll lasts years when you're using it on crankbaits and saving the stencils. I have quite a library of stencils so rarely need to cut a new one.

Edited by BobP