u63405

How do I attach screw eye to belly weight?

Hello all!

I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to attach a screw eye to a belly lead weight. What i tried was, I installed the belly weight then I covered the hole with wood putty sanded it down and I tried drilling a hole about where the belly hook hanger would be. I used a 1/32" drill bit and I had a heck of a time drilling into it. not to mention, when i tried using the brass screw eyes they broke on me :pissed: Any info., suggestions, comments, would be appreciated.

When I did mine I first started a pilot hole in the 1/32 size on the belly side of the lure. Then I made the hole larger to accomodate a Mojo style lead weight. I measured it up on a scrap piec of wood so the weight would fit real snug. The hole was just long and just wide enough for it to fit. It was a rather snug fit I might add. I also used the putty to cover the hole up with the weight in it. The only problem I have had on this method though is that while I was drilling on one of the ones I had finished with the the putty and the weight spun around inside the bait... (obviously it wasnt as snug as the others previously) What I then did is just take it one step farther by putting a dab of Devcon 5 min epoxy inside the belly hole cavity to hold the weight in place. I then drilled a hole into the lead weight and Epoxy'd my screw eye in place. NO PROBLEMS! So I would try and make the hole into the lead weight to fit the screw eye just fine. ALSO, get some better drill bits so they can CUT into the lead qweight. COdy

I think Lunge is exactly right in suggesting that you try to put the hook in a place other than where the weight goes. What I typically do is once I have the lure blank I lay it out on the table in front of me and then lay the hooks down next to the lure as if they were attached. By doing this you can see where the hooks balance the bait best and also where they will give you the best chance for a solid hookup. Once you decide where the hooks go make a small mark in the wood, I use a nail to do this. Now you can figure your weight configuration around the hook placement locations.

All of that being said, I have put hook hangers straight into the lead without any problem whatsoever. I test each lure for proper weighting by placing the weight on the belly with a rubber band and floating it in the sink. Once I know exactly how much lead I need, I drill my holes being careful to watch out for the hook placement marks I mentioned above. Next melt the lead with a small propane torch, and pour the lead in. Finish off everything with the wood putty and seal the wood. Now you should be able to just drill right into the lead...if not, make sure the bit you are using is sharp and that the drill is turning the right direction, lol. Lead is quite soft and should give you no problems at all in drilling. Once the pilot hole is drilled the screw-eyes should go in like they do in the wood but a bit tighter.

Jed