walleyeking69

Newbie, A Couple ?'s

I remove the tape after painting the bait, before I apply epoxy. You can't remove tape if it has cured epoxy on it! I don't worry about epoxy in the eyes - I use a Dremel with a small millimeter drill bit to zip out the epoxy after it cures. Doesn't matter in repainting plastic baits but I like to epoxy over the eyes on wood baits to make sure everything is gets waterproofed. And on wood or plastic, it's one less thing to worry about while you're epoxying the bait.

I remove the tape after painting the bait, before I apply epoxy. You can't remove tape if it has cured epoxy on it! I don't worry about epoxy in the eyes - I use a Dremel with a small millimeter drill bit to zip out the epoxy after it cures. Doesn't matter in repainting plastic baits but I like to epoxy over the eyes on wood baits to make sure everything is gets waterproofed. And on wood or plastic, it's one less thing to worry about while you're epoxying the bait.

Thanks, what about the hook hangers do u just clean out any epoxy that is in them.

Edited by walleyeking69

Something I have found that works magically is take a short piece of wire about 2 inches long, I use .19 gauge SS wire from ace hardware, but really doesn't matter as long as its smallish in diameter. When you apply your epoxy and as soon as you get it on your Turner run this little plece of wire through the hook hangers to clear the epoxy. Don't just put it in and pull it out, put it in and pass it through the hook hanger grabbing it on the other side. It works! I always hated getting any kind of power tool close to a newly painted bait!! As far as the tape, yes like the above post, take it off after paint and before clear. To get around the lip area good, get epoxy on your brush and press down on it to fan the brush out, it creates a clean half circle edge of clear on the lip.I use acid brushes from harbor freight.

Hope this helps! Any questions just ask!

Andy

Sorry I wasn't clear. I use a Dremel with a small diameter drill bit chucked in it to remove epoxy from the hook hangers and line tie, after the epoxy has cured hard. Player's choice - some guys like Andy want to clean out the eyes before the epoxy cures. I don't like to mess with a bait that has wet epoxy on it, so do it after the epoxy cures. The Dremel lets me remove ALL the epoxy from the hook hanger so there won't be any flaking off the hanger later during use, after the split ring and hook is mounted.