solarfall

My Painting Tutorial Videos

Hi,

Just joined the site and have also just started looking into lure making. Excellent videos and massive time savers for the new builder :) Good job! A couple of questions though if I may....

What type of wood are you using ?

I notice that it appears you use screw eyes to attach your hooks etc. I'm an Englishman living in Sweden so I fish for the same species as my Finnish brothers and sisters. I have read about through wire construction and screw eyes and wonder what your thoughts are on the subject? I guess if you are using screw eyes then they work fine for a large pike.....otherwise I guess you wouldnt do it :) If thats the case, any special tips regarding making screw eyes strong, or are they good to go as they are with a little epoxy or similar in thw hole when you attach them?

I checked out your excellent YouTube channel in the hope of finding a "lure making tutorial part 1" or similar. I watched your "Lure Making Tutorial Part 6 How to Apply Epoxy" video which was great. But do you have a video which deals with the initial shaping of the wood from a block / plank into a lure? I would love to see that :) I'm trying to watch and read as much as I can and that would be very helpful for me as a begginger :) I have so far shaped 1 quite small lure (4") or so for which I used Balsa wood. The hardest thing for me was trying to shape it in a symetrical way on both sides. Any tips regarding techniques or tools would be great :) Perhaps I just need to practice more :)

Anyway I realise this has turned into a wall of text so I will leave it at that. Keep up the good work and keep posting videos. Also a hello and thanks to all the other members of Tackleunderground who have posted so much useful info, more of which I will go and read now :)

Aidy

Hi,

Just joined the site and have also just started looking into lure making. Excellent videos and massive time savers for the new builder :) Good job! A couple of questions though if I may....

What type of wood are you using ?

I notice that it appears you use screw eyes to attach your hooks etc. I'm an Englishman living in Sweden so I fish for the same species as my Finnish brothers and sisters. I have read about through wire construction and screw eyes and wonder what your thoughts are on the subject? I guess if you are using screw eyes then they work fine for a large pike.....otherwise I guess you wouldnt do it :) If thats the case, any special tips regarding making screw eyes strong, or are they good to go as they are with a little epoxy or similar in thw hole when you attach them?

I checked out your excellent YouTube channel in the hope of finding a "lure making tutorial part 1" or similar. I watched your "Lure Making Tutorial Part 6 How to Apply Epoxy" video which was great. But do you have a video which deals with the initial shaping of the wood from a block / plank into a lure? I would love to see that :) I'm trying to watch and read as much as I can and that would be very helpful for me as a begginger :) I have so far shaped 1 quite small lure (4") or so for which I used Balsa wood. The hardest thing for me was trying to shape it in a symetrical way on both sides. Any tips regarding techniques or tools would be great :) Perhaps I just need to practice more :)

Anyway I realise this has turned into a wall of text so I will leave it at that. Keep up the good work and keep posting videos. Also a hello and thanks to all the other members of Tackleunderground who have posted so much useful info, more of which I will go and read now :)

Aidy

i know this is kinda a late reply but anyway about what type of wood i use.. i mostly use hardwoods like oak or maple for jerkbaits. about the through wire vs screw eyes, i i make baits from softer woods like balsa then i would defineatly use through wire, the screw eyes wont hold in that at all but with hard woods its very secure with some epoxy not to mention its soo much more faster to use screw eyes than sawing the slot to hold the wire.

currently i have not made any video regarding the actual shaping and cutting the blanks i have not had the time to make that yet, countless people have asked me to make one of those so maybe at some point i will get round in making one.

Take a look at his last video post. It's titled how to apply epoxy. Since he is from Europe it is likely the brand he uses is not readily available in US. Do a forum search and you will find lots of suggested choices on lure coats. Many use Devcon 2 Ton expoxy. It is a slow cure 20 min or longer. There are some expoxies that dry quicker but those are not used too much. They are water resistant not water proof. Also check label as some epoxies dry/age with a yellow tint. Look for expoxy that dries clear or live with yellow tint. Devcon 2 ton dries clear. Check to make sure it says water PROOF not water resistant. I found Devcon 2 ton at Ace Hardware. Also available via internet.

If you will go to Solarfall's youtube site and look at the comments to the video he answers your question. Also he has other videos there too. I use windows and internet explorer so when I double click on the title 'how to scale foil' (not the play arrow) in the thread comment above, it takes me to the you-tube site of the video. Then scroll down the page to see comments and questions.