cardawg

Dipping Baits ?

I think he was dipping them in a one part polyurethane, brand unknown. Had it been a 2 part auto urethane, the "pot life" would only have been a few hours before the whole gallon was unusable. I dip baits in one part Dick Nite moisture cured polyurethane and hang them so the excess drips off the tail. If you dip, you definitely want to hang them for initial drying versus putting them on a lure turner. A turner will prevent excess poly from dripping off the lure and it will pool under the drying film, sloshing back and forth and causing bubbles and paint wrinkling. I really like dipping - 5 seconds - dip it, hang it, done.

Correct it is an automotive sealer. what most dont understand is that most automotive as well as rattle can paints arent waterproof so a sealer is needed for any type of wood used for crankbait making I use automotive sealer on my baits also just because it goes on thick and dries fast usually in 10-15 minutes. Epoxy works the same but we all know it takes a lot longer for it to dry. I use PPG glasstite sealer it is super hard and is self leveling it can be sanded if needed and doesnt take but 1 coat it bonds with the wood or foam doesnt just cover it I have a couple balsa baits I have busted on the rocks and the sealer looks to have bonder .060 or better into the balsa