walleyeking69

Questions

Im new to painting baits. Painting plastic baits with createx and using devcon 2t.

when putting baits on my modified grill rotisserie dryer do the have to be parallel to the shaft or can they be perpendicular?

been having trouble with uneven coating of devcon, using cheap acid brushes from menards to apply. just seem to always get an uneven coat.i have only coated 3 baits.

it's frustrating me because my airbrushing skills are decent but i am always unhappy after i put on the epoxy.

Thanks for your help in advance. this site is great and has given me alot of useful info.

Edited by walleyeking69

When brushing on the clear coat I get much better results by using a quality, natural hair artists brush. There are several different types of natural hair brushes that you can use. Mine are Sable. You of course have to clean them after using, but in my opinion you get a much smoother coating. Take care of them and they will last a very long time. My baits run parallel to the center shaft on my lure turner and have not tried turning them any other way so I can't really say one is better than the other. All I can tell you is that I have no problems drying them this way. It could be that your trying to apply too much clear coat at a time. A thin, even coat works best for me when using epoxy. Hope this helps.

Ben

I have tried both axes and it did not seem to make any difference.

At the starting out stage, only one epoxy mix to one lure. After applying the epoxy fairly thick, long sweeping strokes from nose to tail and lift off the excess with the brush. Keep the lure moving in your hand so that the epoxy does not get a chance to pool. Strong lighting to look for blemishes and missed spots. Epoxy has to be thick in order to level out, but it can be too thick.

Have folded tissue ready, to squeeze excess epoxy out of the brush, using finger and thumb. Clean brush with acetone thoroughly and leave to air dry. Do not touch the bristles with your fingers to test, they will be just fine, take my word for it.

Dave

I clip baits onto the turner with alligator clips perpendicular to the axle of the turner (wrap a little blue painter's tape over Lexan lips so the clips don't scratch them). Orientation makes no difference - all points on the lure get rotated through 360 degrees as the bait is turned and that keeps the epoxy in place. I also agree with Ben about brushes. I use a square 1/4" artist's brush and its fine bristles do a good job of getting the epoxy on the bait smoothly. Yeah, it will try to level with whatever brush you use, but why not help it along? I buy cheap artists' brushes, clean them vigorously in lacquer thinner and wipe them on a lint free cotton towel. Don't use paper towels because they shed fibers like crazy. I buy a new set of brushes every few years - less than $10. There's a knack to brushing epoxy. You want to keep the brush wet at all times and don't want to run a dry brush over the lure because it will generate bubbles. I think of it as smoothing the epoxy onto the lure versus brushing it like paint. I can only epoxy 2 bass baits at a time, maximum, before the Devcon gets too hard to brush properly. If I want to epoxy several baits at a time, I mix a FEW drops of denatured alcohol in, which extends the brush time an extra minute or two without compromising Devcon's relatively quick hardening time.