floydfire

E Tex Question

I've been using E tex for a topcoat I have a problem with the epoxy running after a single dip down on my bills of my crankbaits on my turner then I have to cut and it leaves a rough spot on my crank bait what should i do to change this any suggestions?????? thanks ahead of time

When using etex thin coats is the key. When you coat to heavy you get runs on lips, eyelets and hook hangers. Also when you brush on too thick the dry time is way to long. The dryer runs almost all night before the epoxy sets up enough to turn the motor off, instead of a couple hours with thin coats. Put on second coat when etex becomes tacky, that way the two layers will bond to each other. :yay:

When using etex thin coats is the key. When you coat to heavy you get runs on lips, eyelets and hook hangers. Also when you brush on too thick the dry time is way to long. The dryer runs almost all night before the epoxy sets up enough to turn the motor off, instead of a couple hours with thin coats. Put on second coat when etex becomes tacky, that way the two layers will bond to each other. :yay:

I was told by the Etex tech to mix the two part thoroughly before adding the alcohol to thin it. Evidently, the two separate parts will bond to the alcohol instead of each other if they're not mixed together first.

Just a word of advice.

Since she told me that, I make sure to really mix any two part epoxy well before I thin it, and haven't had any problems.

Edited by mark poulson

I was told by the Etex tech to mix the two part thoroughly before adding the alcohol to thin it. Evidently, the two separate parts will bond to the alcohol instead of each other if they're not mixed together first.

Just a word of advice.

Since she told me that, I make sure to really mix any two part epoxy well before I thin it, and haven't had any problems.

How much alcohol do you put in it ? Seems to be working well by brushing on but I'll try the thinning next batch thanks for the comments.

How much alcohol do you put in it ? Seems to be working well by brushing on but I'll try the thinning next batch thanks for the comments.

I use Etex straight, without thinning.

I have thinned D2T to use to seal POP molds, and I mixed it 1/1 with denatured alcohol.

I would only thin Etex if I were going to use it to seal a wooden bait before painting, and I'd probably experiment with a 2 parts epoxy/1part alcohol mix first, to see how it set up.

Mix a little and test it to see if it sets up hard.

Etex is a decoupage epoxy, meant to be self leveling, so it's thinner to begin with.

Just a word of advice.

Mark, I think you might of misunderstood me when I said thin. I ment lightly coat the bait, just enough to give a good coat, and not pile on alot of etex. I dont thin etex either and dont really want to. Etex works just fine for me they way it is. the key for me is mix, mix, mix, mix,mix and then cover and let set to the side for 20 or so minutes before useing. Did I mention mix etex, be sure to follow the mix time on the box, no less.

Mark, I think you might of misunderstood me when I said thin. I ment lightly coat the bait, just enough to give a good coat, and not pile on alot of etex. I dont thin etex either and dont really want to. Etex works just fine for me they way it is. the key for me is mix, mix, mix, mix,mix and then cover and let set to the side for 20 or so minutes before useing. Did I mention mix etex, be sure to follow the mix time on the box, no less.

X2. I mix for 4 minutes, and then cover and let it sit for 10-15 minutes, usually the longer time. If you need a thinner coat, you can use a heat gun to warm the epoxy on the lure and let some of it drip off. You'll want to be careful using a heat gun with plastic lures, but if you're careful you shouldn't have any problems.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Do you guys put more than one coat of Etex on?

When I used it, I usually put one coat on cranks, and at least two on swimbaits.

The Etex tech said I could recoat without any prep, after the first coat had set, and it woulod still bond to itself.

So I would coat once in the evening, turn all night, recoat in the morning, turn all day, and it would be ready to fish the next day.

Jamie,

I was just answering the question about thinning epoxy in general. I understood what you posted about a thin coat, which is what I do, too. ;) Of course, that's a first for me. Doh! :lol:

I'm not an ETEX afficionado but understand that it goes on thin enough that most guys want at least 2 applications to make a smooth topcoat - of course, the number of coats depends on what's underneath it, how smooth the painted bait is, and how thick the ETEX is when brushed. ETEX users often let the epoxy sit for 10-15 minutes after mixing so it begins to cure slightly, and so makes a thicker coating when brushed on the lure.