Jurgo68

Custom Hooks

Looking at getting into jig making a little more than just pouring in a do-it mold. Have looked into the costs of getting set up with companies that specialize in spincasting and have started to design a couple different jig heads. That is where I get to my first speedbump. Has anyone ever contacted a hook manufacturer about modifying a hook that they currently make? I am not looking to reinvent the wheel, only tweak a hook that I like into something slightly different that I would like more. I am interested into what it would cost to get a hook specially made, how many hooks would you have to order to get a custom run, etc... If any of you have worked with a hook manufacturer and had a hook specially made for you, any help would be appriciated.

Looking at getting into jig making a little more than just pouring in a do-it mold. Have looked into the costs of getting set up with companies that specialize in spincasting and have started to design a couple different jig heads. That is where I get to my first speedbump. Has anyone ever contacted a hook manufacturer about modifying a hook that they currently make? I am not looking to reinvent the wheel, only tweak a hook that I like into something slightly different that I would like more. I am interested into what it would cost to get a hook specially made, how many hooks would you have to order to get a custom run, etc... If any of you have worked with a hook manufacturer and had a hook specially made for you, any help would be appriciated.

Generally speaking and this is just a ball park figure. Setup cost for changing the hook 1 to 3 thousand dollars with a minnimum of 500 thousand hooks per set.

Your question has two parts that I have heard from hook manufacturers:

1. .... Has anyone ever contacted a hook manufacturer about modifying a hook that they currently make? I am not looking to reinvent the wheel, only tweak a hook that I like into something slightly different that I would like more.

2. I am interested into what it would cost to get a hook specially made, how many hooks would you have to order to get a custom run, etc... If any of you have worked with a hook manufacturer and had a hook specially made for you, any help would be appriciated.

Part 1, to modify a hook they currently make, or a hook someone else currently makes, they said it takes their legal review of 6 to 18 months for approval, if at all.

Part 2, after legal approval, tooling and set-up expense ran $3-5,000 one time expense, plus with 100,000 pieces(hooks) per size per order.

After part 1 and 2, I never got any made so I can't help you there.

If you or anyone else know of anyone making fish hooks in small quantities, please post here.

John