spoonbender

Heat Lamps On Lure Turner?

Any of you fella's use a heat source when turning/drying finishes? Here in Northern Wis the outside temps are less than optimum for curing paints and epoxies. As my garage/shop is heated with wood and I don't always care to build a fire in a cold building for a couple hours of finishing, have toyed with the idea of using heat lamps or elements to reduce cure time. My spray booth is already heated but would need to add something to the turner. I do primarily plastic body crankbaits and trolling spoons with vinyl, acrylic, and epoxy finishes. I'm assuming temp control would be the biggest challange....

Any of you fella's use a heat source when turning/drying finishes? Here in Northern Wis the outside temps are less than optimum for curing paints and epoxies. As my garage/shop is heated with wood and I don't always care to build a fire in a cold building for a couple hours of finishing, have toyed with the idea of using heat lamps or elements to reduce cure time. My spray booth is already heated but would need to add something to the turner. I do primarily plastic body crankbaits and trolling spoons with vinyl, acrylic, and epoxy finishes. I'm assuming temp control would be the biggest challange....

Yes I use a 2 foot long tubular heater in my lure drier, its connected to a normal room thermostat which is also inside the box, I can dial in the temp I want and know that the box wont overheat inside. cool.gif

Yes I use a 2 foot long tubular heater in my lure drier, its connected to a normal room thermostat which is also inside the box, I can dial in the temp I want and know that the box wont overheat inside. cool.gif

That thermostat in the box is a great idea! Otherwise, getting the lures too hot will cause the epoxy to run.

I live in Alabama. Not near as cold as you, but have always use a heat lamp.

Sometimes I use it over my turner for D2T. Don't help with DN or moistured cure urathanes.

I usually jut hang the baits after I turn them for about 1 hour,

with the heat lamp over them and a shiny cookie tray below.

Makes a great heater and drys the D2t well and faster.

I use a cheap light from Home Depot. Works great.

I read here on TU that a guy was putting his lure turner in a wood box lined with tin foil with a couple of incandescent bulbs inside to speed epoxy curing to a couple of hours on jig heads. Sounds pretty simple compared to some of the alternatives, though I haven't tried it because slow cure is fast enough for my purposes.

That thermostat in the box is a great idea! Otherwise, getting the lures too hot will cause the epoxy to run.

Im with mark on this one. Ive tried a heat source and didnt like the end result. Ive never tried the light bulb theory though. I also years ago took a rod building class and the instructor had a rig made for drying his rods, it was made out of plex glass and a small light.He clames that it works.