red00bird

Getting Hooks Out Of Unusable Jigs?

Dean,

I usually dip the jig back into my pot being carefull not to dip past the eye. The lead melts off and leaves a burnt hollow paint shell. Have a rag handy to wipe off any residue from the hook, flux and you put the hook back into the mold and pour away. You can also go through the trouble to strip off the paint with some heavy duty paint stripper before you re-melt, but to me that is a waste of time if you have only a few to do. Hope this helps.

What is the best way to do this? I bought some jigs and am very unhappy with the heads but the have some 5/0 gammies that have never been used and I would like to be able to use them again. Even though the heads have been coated can they be repoured?

Thanks,Dean

Well first What are they coated with. Powder paint , vynil , ect. it would be best if the coating is removed from the head first . Then pick up a pair of flush cut jewlers/craft pliers . They cost between 5 and 8 dollars at any craft section in almost any store . Cut the lead head off following generally the middle of the head down the shank toward the eye. This saves having the hook go through more heat than necessary. After you have accumilated the lead melt it down in a container other than your lead pot. Once you have the lead about as hot as you can possibly get it stir it with a kiln dried oak dowel rod ,as you do skim off the dross that will accumilate on top of the lead. do this until you get nothing but the soot from the dowel floating on the lead. Your lead is clean and ready for you to repour the hooks. I've only done this about a thousand times.