bbf

Foam Baits

Have any of yall had any problems painting baits made from foam? I recently repainted some cranks made of foam and everyone of them

wrinkled once dipped in DN. I would like to think I done everything correct in my painting process. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

In order to find the problem, you have to tell us your process. What release agent you used, how did you prep the blank for painting, what types and makes of paints used, drying times and methods. As much information as possible.

This isn't the first time this question has come up. I am sure a solution can be found.

Here is a couple of threads that may be relevant: http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/17963-paint-and-resin-baits/page__p__135922__hl__foam__fromsearch__1#entry135922

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/15078-featherlite-degassing-time-needed/page__p__113527__hl__foam__fromsearch__1#entry113527

Dave

Did you undercoat the foam surface with something to prevent reaction between the DN and the chemicals in the foam? I usually undercoat wood baits with Devcon Two Ton epoxy thinned with denatured alcohol (any slow cure brushable epoxy will work just as well for this). When cured, epoxy becomes virtually inert and will not react with solvent coatings like DN. Another possibility that comes to mind is if you applied more than one coat of DN to the baits. If you did and the first coat of DN has not begun to cure yet (at least 24 hrs), the next coat can react with it and wrinkle the paint. You can also get wrinkling if you apply too much DN and then put the lure on a lure turner. The DN is prone to pool somewhere, typically the tail, and the thick DN layer skins over but still has liquid DN underneath which sloshes back and forth while the lure turns, wrinkling paint or causing bubbles. So there are various possibilities.

The bait was already painted. I sanded the bait(not all the way down). I cleaned it with acetone let dry then started the painting process. I use createx paint. I did heat set the paint between coats. By the way I did have one that didnt wrinkle. Why? dont know. It was painted the same as the others. They all wrinkled in the same area(on the belly). Thanks for the feed back gents.

Lee

I use [dip] white Badger paint as a primer coat on my baits. But when I dipped my foamies with the Badger paint everyone of them reacted with DN [peeled] and some even reacted with Devcon after they got wet. I could heat set them until the paint practically boiled. I went back to straight white createx as a primer and it cured the problem. If I had to guess I would say the original paint or clear coat is the problem. But is the DN lifting the original paint as well??