MikePaintsBaits

Split Rings

IMO, there's no performance difference. Oval split ring were invented to cure problems created when the knot works its way under the wire of a round split ring. So if you're a klutz who can't tie a tight knot that doesn't sit in the gap of a round ring, ovals may have some utility. I've read where at least one custom builder warns against ovals because "they hurt the action of the bait". I don't believe that and don't go out of my way to use them or avoid them. I put round rings on baits - not least because oval rings sell at a premium price and I think that's ridiculous.

I agree with Bob. I can't believe there's any difference, as far as the action of a bait, when it comes to the difference between oval and round split rings. You've still got the same amount of wire going through the line tie whether it's in a round or oval shape. If your looking to free up a bait you can go with a snap, which is what I chose to do. Although freeing up the bait wasn't my first reason for choosing snaps. When fishing crankbaits I may change lures 20 or more times in a day until I find the size, action and color of bait the bass are wanting that particular day and using a snap allows me to make these changes much easier and quicker. Now I know there are mixed feelings about using snaps. A lot of fish have been lost because snaps have opened up. You just have to experiment until you find one that works for you. Not sure if they still do, but Luhr-Jensen used to put snaps on their baits from the factory and that type of snap is the same one I use. I've used snaps on a lot of hard pulling, deep diving cranks such as the Mann's 30+ and the Luhr-Jensen Hot lips Express and never had a problem with the snaps I used.

I use both round and oval, and can't tell the difference. I put round split rings on baits I make, but I'll use whatever comes on a store bought lure. I have several Lucky Craft lures that came with oval, and I just left them on and use them.

I find I still have to take care not to get the line caught in the gap on the ovals.

I used to use snaps, too, but don't anymore. I found I'd get lazy, and not retie all day, and lose fish and lures when the knot broke.

I know it's a pain in the butt, and takes more time and line, but I retie every time I change a crank. The only time I hate it is when it's real windy, and then I have a few choice words for myself. :censored:

IMO, there's no performance difference. Oval split ring were invented to cure problems created when the knot works its way under the wire of a round split ring. So if you're a klutz who can't tie a tight knot that doesn't sit in the gap of a round ring, ovals may have some utility. I've read where at least one custom builder warns against ovals because "they hurt the action of the bait". I don't believe that and don't go out of my way to use them or avoid them. I put round rings on baits - not least because oval rings sell at a premium price and I think that's ridiculous.

I agree with Bob