HAWGHUNNA

Lip-less Dcvrz (deceivers)

These are a couple of my first lip-less krank bait builds. I would like to give props to Vodkaman, he did a tremendous job of duplicating the blanks that I was wanting to work with for my entire line of wooden krank baits (Albesia Klones). Next, I would like to thank Husky for sharing his photo finishing technique. Mark Poulson, Big Bass Man, and airbrushextreme were also gracious enough to answer a few questions via pm. I appreciate the help guys.

I was very fortunate on my first lip-less krank bait proto type. It swam great, and had an awesome shimmy on the drop (much like the Strike King Red Eye Shad). Although I did not gauge my ballast locations according to the SKRES, I did look at and gauge the ballast locations (somewhat) according to another of my favorite rattle baits.

This model will be called The Lip-Less DCVR. It drops semi slowly @ about 6" per second. I am also testing a shallow running, and medium running Krank bait from these same bodies that were cut from albesia wood. All of my initial kranks will be silent baits, as the bodies (blanks) are of the one piece variety. I'm thinking of adding a drum type jig rattle, by drilling a hole (the size of the rattle) completely through some of the blanks and fill in the void area after the rattle is inserted, with bondo for a rattling series.

Here is a poor phone camera peek at the Threzzard Fin Shad, and Wyt Crappy .....I will upload some quality pics to the gallery once my son brings the camera back home.

http://s455.photobucket.com/albums/qq278/HAWGHUNNA/?action=view&current=shaddcvr-1.jpg

http://s455.photobucket.com/albums/qq278/HAWGHUNNA/?action=view&current=WhiteCrappie-Lip-LessDCVR-1.jpg

Thanks again for the help guys.

Edited by HAWGHUNNA

Vey nice work Hawghunna !! Your photo finish looks great on those baits, I bet they catch ! Also Big Thanks to Husky for sharing the photo finishing !

Thanks guys,

I have a Blue Gill, Long Ear Sun Fish, , Black Crappy, and Baby Bass (Spot) DCVRZ and a shallow running krank bait dressed up in Shell Cracker ready for top coat. I will post up better pics soon.

I'm really enjoying trying to match and blend in the colors on these baits. I am being forced to use a Testor's air brush with compressed air in a can at this time, that I bought years ago to paint my son's pine wood derby at this time. I have an Iwata Eclipse, but I don't have a compressor yet. Can't wait to upgrade!

I may even actually try my hand at painting a few in days to come, if I can tear myself away from the photo finishes.

I may be forced into insetting some 3/D taxidermy eyes into the baits, but flats would be better ..... my front ballast is in the eye socket position :?

Edited by HAWGHUNNA

Fantastic finishing, your lures look very realistic!!

Cutting the tail off and inserting eyes into a real fish is considered cheating.

Nice job.

Dave

ps. you will be needing sunfish bodies to go with those tremendous pics in your gallery (sorry, being nosey).

Edited by Vodkaman

Thanks guys,

I have a Blue Gill, Long Ear Sun Fish, , Black Crappy, and Baby Bass (Spot) DCVRZ and a shallow running krank bait dressed up in Shell Cracker ready for top coat. I will post up better pics soon.

I'm really enjoying trying to match and blend in the colors on these baits. I am being forced to use a Testor's air brush with compressed air in a can at this time, that I bought years ago to paint my son's pine wood derby at this time. I have an Iwata Eclipse, but I don't have a compressor yet. Can't wait to upgrade!

I may even actually try my hand at painting a few in days to come, if I can tear myself away from the photo finishes.

I may be forced into insetting some 3/D taxidermy eyes into the baits, but flats would be better ..... my front ballast is in the eye socket position :?

Cant wait to see the rest of the photo finish baits, your off to a Great start !!

Cant wait to see the rest of the photo finish baits, your off to a Great start !!

Thanks Big Bass Man!

Jr. brought the camera in with him tonight, we have a lot of pics to take within the next couple of days. He activated my web site on line a lil' pre maturely (before we had a chance to shoot color chart pics for several made, and unmade pages :huh: ), but he is excited about building the site and couldn't wait.

I should have a 6 pack of pics of my first airbrush and foto phinish jobz up tomorrow eve. I just received some blank stencil sheets tonight, so I will be playing around with the ole Testors' airbrush quite a bit in the near future. But I'm really anxious to break in the Iwata soon as well, however, I have a lot of r/d to do on airbrushing yet. I should have skipped the Soft Plastics, and wire baits trend that took up the last few years of my spare time, and just jumped straight into the hard baits (I'm really liking this). After all I've been a carpenter for 30 plus years ..... go figure.

Thanks Big Bass Man!

Jr. brought the camera in with him tonight, we have a lot of pics to take within the next couple of days. He activated my web site on line a lil' pre maturely (before we had a chance to shoot color chart pics for several made, and unmade pages :huh: ), but he is excited about building the site and couldn't wait.

I should have a 6 pack of pics of my first airbrush and foto phinish jobz up tomorrow eve. I just received some blank stencil sheets tonight, so I will be playing around with the ole Testors' airbrush quite a bit in the near future. But I'm really anxious to break in the Iwata soon as well, however, I have a lot of r/d to do on airbrushing yet. I should have skipped the Soft Plastics, and wire baits trend that took up the last few years of my spare time, and just jumped straight into the hard baits (I'm really liking this). After all I've been a carpenter for 30 plus years ..... go figure.

Man, what would we do without our computer savy kids? :lol:

Don't you wish you could catch fish as well as you can pound nails? :lol::lol::lol:

I've been thinking about your flat eye request, and find myself wondering if you might use the 3D stickon eyes set in a shallow recess, and maybe cut the photo film around them after you apply it.

Predator Bass, a site sponsor, sells lots of different eyes.

He might actually be a source for flat eyes, too, although I've never looked for them on his site.

Edited by mark poulson

Man, what would we do without our computer savy kids? :lol:

Don't you wish you could catch fish as well as you can pound nails? :lol::lol::lol:

I've been thinking about your flat eye request, and find myself wondering if you might use the 3D stickon eyes set in a shallow recess, and maybe cut the photo film around them after you apply it.

Predator Bass, a site sponsor, sells lots of different eyes.

He might actually be a source for flat eyes, too, although I've never looked for them on his site.

The kidz these dayz are simply amazing!

I wish that I could attempt catching fish as much as I'm out having to bang nails.

I pm'd PBB about some eyes. Also, I looked at Mr. Boggs site ..... he has "raised" flat eyes that caught my attention, but your suggestion drew some interest as well. Thanks.

I posted pics of my first school of bait fish "IMPOSTORS" in the gallery. Still not the quality that I was hoping for, guess I'm due for a camera upgrade ..... or photography lesson :unsure: . Anyhoo, heres a link ....

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/category/8-hard-baits/

WOW, I just checked out your group of photo finish baits. They came out great! I really like the bass one too. So, how did you do it? I tryed with water slide paper, but the ink never dried on the water slide paper. I haven't triied the tishue paper trick yet, but I want to learn how to get that cool photo finish. Any tips would be great.

Rich

I tryed with water slide paper, but the ink never dried on the water slide paper.

Rich

When using the water slide decal paper you have to give the ink an hour or so to dry and then spray it with a fixative spray. Then you have to allow that to dry. The fixative spray seals the ink by putting a clear film over it so the ink doesn't run when you dip the decal in water. The spray should be available at the same place you bought the decal paper.