rugbyfisherman

Plastic Hardener Question

My question is, how much hardener do I need to add to 1 gallon of Calhoun super-soft plastic to make a really hard plastic compound? I am fairly new to soft plastics and I just got a beaver mold but I want to make the plastic as hard as RI beaver baits. I added about 4-5 caps to 2 cups and I found it was not nearly hard enough...I just want to get my ratios right. Thanks,

My question is, how much hardener do I need to add to 1 gallon of Calhoun super-soft plastic to make a really hard plastic compound? I am fairly new to soft plastics and I just got a beaver mold but I want to make the plastic as hard as RI beaver baits. I added about 4-5 caps to 2 cups and I found it was not nearly hard enough...I just want to get my ratios right. Thanks,

who's hardener are you using?

I buy my hardener from a local Canadian supplier, I believe it is Lurecraft. I have 1 quart of hardener and I think I may just mix it with 1 gallon of super-soft. I have been making small batches and have tried calculating it and I think 1 quart per gallon will be hard.

you probably got it from mike right?

lure craft's is a liquid and takes a bit more, calhouns is real thick and doesnt take as much. but that sounds close.

Edited by SHK

I'm not sure what beaver bait you are poring but if you just want it to be more durable - have you tried dipping it in hard plastic? I do this with frogs, tubes, etc. Just pour a medium / soft bait, then dip it in hard. It makes it very durable but keeps the bait soft in the fishes mouth. The fish will hold the bait for a long time. I know several others who use this technique as well and it works great. Just to save the effort of an experiment - if you try this - don't dip small appendages. It will either melt them off, or create a blob. Either way you end up with a mess - so I've heard ; )

So on the Beaver maybe you could just dip the body??? If you were doing two colors, dipping can also prevent cold cracking between the two colors..

Here's what the frog looks like (notice the legs are not dipped):

2_FF_4.jpg

I'm not sure what beaver bait you are poring but if you just want it to be more durable - have you tried dipping it in hard plastic? I do this with frogs, tubes, etc. Just pour a medium / soft bait, then dip it in hard. It makes it very durable but keeps the bait soft in the fishes mouth. The fish will hold the bait for a long time. I know several others who use this technique as well and it works great. Just to save the effort of an experiment - if you try this - don't dip small appendages. It will either melt them off, or create a blob. Either way you end up with a mess - so I've heard ; )

So on the Beaver maybe you could just dip the body??? If you were doing two colors, dipping can also prevent cold cracking between the two colors..

Here's what the frog looks like (notice the legs are not dipped):

2_FF_4.jpg

The gentleman was asking about adding hardener to his liquid plastic, not about dipping frogs, tubes, etc. Your post is nothing more than a solicitation, and

should be taken as such.

The gentleman was asking about adding hardener to his liquid plastic, not about dipping frogs, tubes, etc. Your post is nothing more than a solicitation, and

should be taken as such.

Solicitation for what Fred? The op stated in his first post that he was new to soft plastics. Caney merely told him another way to accomplish what he was trying to do, he didn't try to sell him anything.

• Like 1

r.i.'s beavers are hard because of the salt content not necessarily a harder plastic. if you want to get the best results start off with a harder plastic even though you can get your super soft hard with the hardener it could still be used for worms and other baits. just buy a gallon of a harder compound. if you have any technical questions about any vendors plastisol and the varying hardness between the different brands ask i am sure any of them will be more than happy to make sure you get the right products!!

I've bowed out because I'm still a newbie, but I can't help but wonder why you'd add it all at the same time? I have needs along the way that require both soft and hard plastics, but can't imagine trying to do both with an additive put in place from the beginning. It seems that all baits have specific requirements that need to be met as the season moves along.

I'm about the fish, not the bait though

FWIW, I only work 1.5-3 cups at a time, and add hardener and softener only when needed for a specific bait or technique. Much more than an hour or two in the shop bores me and I need to go fishing with my new baits.

Immediate gratification is the name of my game.

I hope you find your answer though.

BTW Caney...I'll file that away. thank you. I've read that tip before, but forgot it...I'm 1.5 cupping at a time here. LOL

Edited by patrick reif

First off, do you want your baits to float or sink? If you want them to sink, add salt to make your baits harder. If you want them to float, you need to add hardener. For the hardener, you need to add it before you heat the plastic, I tablespoon (thick stuff) per 4 oz will get you to where I think you are wanting to be. DO SMALL BATCHES, you can always make them softer by adding softener when heated, but you can not make them harder after heating. I would do 4oz batches then translate the hardener recipe to the big batch after testing. 4oz is 1/2 cup. Adding 1 quart to 1 gallon will get you a bait hard enough to pleasure your wife.

As for caney creek's method, it will make it somewhat stiffer but not much... it was more of an ad for his frog mold.

Good one BBK :lol:!!!! I have a tonne of plastic so I am not really worried about adding the hardener to 1 or 2 gallons plastic. I tested out in small batches and ended up doing 1.75 gallons per 1 quart of hardener. I am now just a tad harder than a worm formula plastic.

I appreciated Caney's post (or add;)) but never really considered it an option for beaver molds. Good technique for frogs or tubes though!

My one problem is that I am getting a few bubbles way down in the claws of the bait. I am picking up the plastic slowly and injecting slowly with moderate/light pressure, hmm...Could it be the hardener? It's getting cold up here so I am warming the molds by a vent in the basement before taking them out to the shop so I am kinda stumped. It is probably just me - any injecting tips might help though.

First off, do you want your baits to float or sink? If you want them to sink, add salt to make your baits harder. If you want them to float, you need to add hardener. For the hardener, you need to add it before you heat the plastic, I tablespoon (thick stuff) per 4 oz will get you to where I think you are wanting to be. DO SMALL BATCHES, you can always make them softer by adding softener when heated, but you can not make them harder after heating. I would do 4oz batches then translate the hardener recipe to the big batch after testing. 4oz is 1/2 cup. Adding 1 quart to 1 gallon will get you a bait hard enough to pleasure your wife.

As for caney creek's method, it will make it somewhat stiffer but not much... it was more of an ad for his frog mold.

Good one BBK :lol:!!!! I have a tonne of plastic so I am not really worried about adding the hardener to 1 or 2 gallons plastic. I tested out in small batches and ended up doing 1.75 gallons per 1 quart of hardener. I am now just a tad harder than a worm formula plastic.

I appreciated Caney's post (or add;)) but never really considered it an option for beaver molds. Good technique for frogs or tubes though!

My one problem is that I am getting a few bubbles way down in the claws of the bait. I am picking up the plastic slowly and injecting slowly with moderate/light pressure, hmm...Could it be the hardener? It's getting cold up here so I am warming the molds by a vent in the basement before taking them out to the shop so I am kinda stumped. It is probably just me - any injecting tips might help though.

Probably moisture in the mold from the heater. Warm them with 2 or 3 shots of hot plastic instead.

should be taken as such.

Fred from Fredville??? Hmmm... Looks like a re-register from a previously banned individual. Can't stay away! Need to though! <_<

Dipping should make the bait more durable. It would create another layer for the hook to stay in. Examples where it works are tubes, Basstrix swim baits, fluke heads, etc.

Problem is, you don't want to cover the ribs of the bait up as that is part of the bait that imparts action and part of the reason beaver type baits are so effective.

Jim

BBK gives "point-on" advice.I have found that 1 teaspoon per 16 oz. of plastisol will increase the stiffness considerably.That said,you must add the hardener to the plastisol BEFORE you start to heat it and STIR THE COLD MIX THOROUGHLY ! Stirring the mix occasionally during the heating process will assure a completely mix w/ good results.

Personally,I'd save the super soft for stick and wacky worms.Lurecraft #508 and/or Chemionics medium w/ give you a harder plastic.