KandyBass

Baking Jig Heads

just wondering if anyone will share an idea with me. I'm working on a rack to hold alot of heads so i can paint them and bake them faster. So far I haven't figured out a great way to do this..My trouble is the heads want to slide around and thats not good as you know. I have tried a few different things and cant seem to accomplish what I want to do. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

KandyBass,

To solve your sliding problem use Allthread rod when you make your rack. Allthread rod is threaded rod about 36" long that is continuously threaded and you cut it to length and you can put nuts on it to hold in onto a rack. When you paint your jigs hang them by the hook bend. They will not slide around. Depending on your hook size a 10-24 thread is a good start. They sell this at Lowes, Menards, Home Depot or any hardware store.

My sis inlaw found me a huge oven at a yard sale for $4. Opening is a good 12-13" high. What a steal it was. When I used the smaller one, I flipped it upside down and just hung them from the rack. Laid a piece or 2 of heavy duty aluminum foil over the heating elements.

If your worried about the hooks sliding on the rack rails, maybe try to wrap a layer of aluminum foil around each rail and make sure it's not to smooth so they don't slide around. Maybe a coat of high temp matte paint would stop them from sliding as much also.

I have a deal with my wife, I use the oven and when I'm done I fully clean it. My painting pans are cheap aluminum bread pans. I straighten the edges use a hole punch and fold the edges over. I can get about 30 -40 jigs per pan and I load them up till I have 6 full pans.

Not only do I use the bread pans for drips if they happen but three of the pans go on a cookie sheet (old ones, my wife gave them to me after I bought her new ones). 6 pans cure at the same time in the oven.

Like others have said you didn't put what you were using for a curing oven??? One tip I can give you NO MATTER what you're using for an oven go to WalMart or Target or wherever and get a 3-4 dollar in oven thermometer like this

http://www.target.com/s?keywords=oven%20thermometer&afid=google&CPNG=kitchen&LNM=Oven%20thermometer&LID=26p1206266&adgroup=tools%20gadgets&MT=broad&AFID=google&KID=7a18e7bb-fa99-57c8-2ab3-000075e0141d&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000

just to make sure you're getting the right temp. toaster ovens are notorious for being way off temp.

Fatman

Thanks for your help. I am using a regular kitchen oven and bake anything from 1/8oz. shaky head to a 1oz. football head. I am currently using the all thread rod method and bake about 300 football heads at a time. I have seen a contraption (lol) where 25 to 30 heads are clamped together. They are then heated in the oven, removed, sprayed with powder paint and inserted back in to bake. My problem is rigging something strong enough that will hold 1oz football heads without them sliding around. Hope this helps you understand what I want to do.

Kandy

I'm wondering if this product will help you out. I saw it at CS coatings site, it's a rack that holds up to 2 oz jig heads. They also say if you need different sizes they can be made to custom sizes.

http://www.csipaint.com/products/production-tools/aluminum-clamping-rack.asp

Just another idea along with all the others you've been given

Fatman

KandyBass,

Here is what I use most of the time. I took a piece of 1/8" by 1" aluminum bar stock and cut it to the length of the wire rack that came in my oven. I then drilled 1/8" holes 1/4" apart and 1/4" from one edge. You can add groovs in front of the holes to really lock the jigs in place. These racks slide into the groov that the original wire rack slid into. Hope this helps