jlarnold1966

Crankbait Lip Slot Cutting

4 posts in this topic

jlarnold1966    10

I am really struggling with getting accurate and repeatable slots cut on round balsa crankbait bodies I am purchasing from Janns and Lurecraft. Does anyone have any suggestions or pictures of fixtures/devices that they use to do this work?

Edited by jlarnold1966

Vodkaman    889

I am really struggling with getting accurate and repeatable slots cut on round balsa crankbait bodies I am purchasing from Janns and Lurecraft. Does anyone have any suggestions or pictures of fixtures/devices that they use to do this work?

Because your blanks are consistant in size, you should be able to make a jig. Here is a link to the method that I use. It works and costs very little. it is quick and if you don't get it right first time, have another go.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/20271-lip-slot-jig/page__p__151196__hl__bondo__fromsearch__1#entry151196

Dave

jlarnold1966    10

Because your blanks are consistant in size, you should be able to make a jig. Here is a link to the method that I use. It works and costs very little. it is quick and if you don't get it right first time, have another go.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/20271-lip-slot-jig/page__p__151196__hl__bondo__fromsearch__1#entry151196

Dave

Thanks for the reply Vodkaman! Using this method, you could then just attach a runner on the bottom that fits the groove of the bandsaw at the angle you want and that would be complete. A picture is truly worth a thousand words.

Vodkaman    889

Thanks for the reply Vodkaman! Using this method, you could then just attach a runner on the bottom that fits the groove of the bandsaw at the angle you want and that would be complete. A picture is truly worth a thousand words.

Yes, a few different ways of doing it. I am currently using the edges of the bandsaw plate, I can control the slot width (two cuts) and the depth, with stops. But my bodies are not consistent enough, so still experimenting.

Dave