GORDY

Nylon Mesh

Hey Folks,

anyone know where I can buy nylon mesh for painting scale patterns on home-made fishing lures?

Most fabric shops have it

Dollar stores....those little bath scrubbers and some cheap toys come in mesh bags

Produce department......

Strip joint.......(fishnet stockings)but it will end up being expensive!

Dollar stores....those little bath scrubbers and some cheap toys come in mesh bags

Produce department......

Thanks Bud. You're right about the strip joints. I don't think I can afford that! I will try the Dollar store at lunch today. I'll let you know.

The mesh bath scrubbing pads, I think they're call scrubbies, seem to have the most flexible mesh I've been able to find. One scrubby holds a lot of mesh. You can find them at the dollar store.

The tulle that fabric stores sell for vails also works, but it is stiffer, until it has a coat of Createx applied to it. The paint, and the heat setting process, makes the fabric more flexible.

For smaller lures, I use the little 99 cent minnow nets....depending on mesh size. They already have the nifty handle to hold the mesh over the lure. Recently I picked up a 99 cent butterfly net at Dollar General that had just the right mesh size and shape for a new project. If you're not afraid of being labled a perv.....just skim through the girlie section of your local WalMart, can spot some pretty neat meshie things. Don't actually buy them unless your significant other is with you, makes it a lot easier than having to explain why you have a bag of that stuff stashed in your workshop. :huh:

For smaller lures, I use the little 99 cent minnow nets....depending on mesh size. They already have the nifty handle to hold the mesh over the lure. Recently I picked up a 99 cent butterfly net at Dollar General that had just the right mesh size and shape for a new project. If you're not afraid of being labled a perv.....just skim through the girlie section of your local WalMart, can spot some pretty neat meshie things. Don't actually buy them unless your significant other is with you, makes it a lot easier than having to explain why you have a bag of that stuff stashed in your workshop. :huh:

Heck just carry a pair of scissors when you pay for the cut the band off right there hand it to the cashere gal . the newest fashion thongless underwear..

Produce department......

152nd, I went home last night and started looking thru my junk and actually found a nylon mesh bag that came with a spinning reel I had purchased on line. What a thrill to find exactly what I was looking for! Anyway, I tried it out last night and it worked just fine. Thanks for your suggestions...................Gordy

some places sell mesh bags for doing laundry.

Also try: cherry tomato "bags" (the ones I use are actually tubular and fit nicely around a 2" diameter or standard sized rattle can for foil texture), and shallot (like small onions) packaging(bags). These work for both painting and foil texturing.

I get my scale patterns from Michaels craft store or hobby lobby. It's called tuel and it's sold in the fabric section. It works very well

Thanks, just got back from hobby lobby and that tulle comes in 2 different sizes. The bigger size should work for baits up to about 4 in. 77 cents for 1 yard,can't beat that.