landtrunsea

Alumilite Mold And Alumilite Part

New to the tackle making scene so I apologize if this has been asked already, did a quick search but didn't see anything.

I want to make a mold of my favorite crankbait. It will be a two part mold. I have seen in many videos High Strength 2 used, but I was hoping I could use Alumilite White. My thought is to use a mold release on my lure and then create the bottom of the mold. Let cure. More mold release on lure and bottom then pour the top.

Will the mold come apart?

Will I be able to remove my crankbait?

I plan on making my lure from Alumilite, can I make it in this mold if the mold is coated with mold release or will they end up adhering?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I haven't tried that, but a good rule of thumb Vodkaman Dave gave out is, " Hard bait, soft mold, and vice versa". I think what he was saying is hard baits and hard molds don't do too well together as a rule. It makes sense, since any undercut or detail that isn't oriented exactly right would get stuck in the mold.

Here's a video of how to make a mold for a hard bait using a soft mold material: http://makelure.com/

Edited by mark poulson

If you use a good RTV silly cone for the 2 piece molds it should be fine if the molds are to ridged then you run the risk of breaking both mold and lure. The best way that I have found is just like the vid say lay down a bed of modeling clay then inset the lure about half way in the clay then spray with release agent then pour your RTV over the lure let stand till cured. Remove clay with out moving the lure then spray with release agent and pour other half it gets to be quite simple after 2 or 3 molds. dont forget your key ways in the molding I did on my first and is all most imposable to get the halves to line up

P.S.

Alumilite white should be fine if its going to be a solid bait if its going to have chambers look for TAP Clear-Lite Casting Resin or some other Polyester Casting Resin

P.S.

Alumilite white should be fine if its going to be a solid bait if its going to have chambers look for TAP Clear-Lite Casting Resin or some other Polyester Casting Resin

Follow up question. What is the difference in using Alumilite Clear and TAP Clear-Lite Casting Resin for this purpose. Can I add microballoons to the TAP Clear-Lite?

Thanks.

Follow up question

The TAP clear is what I had on hand for making lips for crank bait that was the main reason for me to use it I haven't tried alumilite clear but when I run out of the Tap Im going to give it a shot.

When playing around with resins trying different thicknesses and what not I all ways start out with small amounts I buy the smallest bottle of what ever I think might work and if it dosent I move to anther type and use what I had left over from the first on minor stuff like gluing body halves together or what ever I can think of (molds for soft plastics) or the prototype Im working on now that has Alumilite bottom and a balsa wood top to give the bait a low center of gravity and a good solid base for hook eyes.

Microballons can be mixed into clear polyester resins (TAP clear lite) with ease just like regular Alumilite. Microballons after all they are just spun glass just like fiber glass. When using microballons and or polyester resins just one word "Respirator" the catalyst for the polyester resins can cause nervous system break down and microballons can cause silicosis when inhaled.

Be safe and have fun