CatchemCaro

Material For Air Brush Templets.

I use poster-board for most of my stencils. Clear vinyl is another material I use occasionally. Vinyl works better than poster-board for 3d scales, and I'm sure there are other techniques that work better with vinyl stencils. I don't use vinyl as much as it can be more difficult to hold a vinyl stencil in place due to it's flexibility. Either material works; it's mainly a matter of personal preference.

Edited by Fishwhittler

There are quite a few things you can use to make templates for airbrushing. Some folks use frisket paper. It's a thin plastic sheet with an adhesive under a backing. BobP told me that he leaves the backing on the frisket paper and uses the same template for spraying both sides of the bait. Plus you end up with an inventory of different templates so your not cutting out new templates every time you go to paint a bait.

I've heard of other people using everything from plastic milk jugs to the plastic on blister packs. Others even use stiff paper to make their templates out of. All your really looking for is something that will hold it's shape and still be flexible enough to conform to the lure. Just start looking around and using your imagination and you'll come up with something that suits you.

good luck,

Ben

Like Ben said, frisket is made for painting and cuts easily with an Xacto knife. I bought a roll 8 yrs ago and it looks like it will last at least as long as I do. I got a "light tack" variety and tried peeling and sticking it on (how it is designed to work) but found that even light tack paper can pull the acrylic paint off a crankbait, so I started leaving the paper backing on the template. In doing that, you can flip over the template and shoot both sides of the bait with one template. One template = get both sides of a bait exactly the same. And you can save the template and do a bunch of baits with it. It bends fairly easily, which helps, but if you do lots of the same bait, some guys prefer heat fitting plastic (from a milk jug?) for a custom fitted template.

A good cheap material for templetes is the plastic lamination plastic pouches,the stuff you use to preserve photo's,pic's etc.

If it is to flimsey you just put it through the laminator and that heat's and melt's the to sides together making it stiffer.

You can also put pattern's and stuff that you've designed on paper or printed off the printer and put it throught the laminator in between the plastic sheet's and then cut your pattern's out straight from the pattern and stuff..

One sheet makes heap's of templete's..:rolleyes:

Tranfer paper also good but you have to do two seperate sides and can only be used once though..!!!!

As I ended up bleeding a lot when cutting stencils with an Exacto knife, I now make my stencils out of copper foil that I chemically etch. They're re-usable and easy to remove built up paint from, just dunk 'em in the appropriate thinner/cleaner when done. The copper is very conformable to the shape of the lure and multiple templates can be soldered together for a full 3D stencil similar to the vacuum formed plastic ones. I make up my own etching patterns on my Windows "Paint" program, print them out on the back of used label paper with a laser printer and iron the toner onto the copper. The etchant eventually removes the copper from the un-coated area of the foil, thus creates the desired pattern.

I now make my stencils out of copper foil that I chemically etch. They're re-usable and easy to remove built up paint from, just dunk 'em in the appropriate thinner/cleaner when done.

What a great idea. I am all set up with ferric chloride too. You forgot to mention that you will have to completely coat the rear side, or the etchant will just eat from the back face. When doing electronic circuit boards, I use a paint pen (called a 'zig painty') to draw the tracks, works well.

Dave

Mt Dew 2 Liter bottles..

Milk Jugs... Toilet paper.. paper towels.. sand paper.. rip it good.... Panny hose....old panies...deer fur or squirrel skin if your fancy... Dryer sheets... used... no not toilet paper use it new.. am I high on paint possible not likely its only friday...Tape get the green not the blue.. drill out your plastic with a dremmel it rips it up GOOD and creates edges out of this world!!! nothing you can do with a FREAKIN HOBBY KNIFE you jackwagon... you want crazyness and wacko de mo lacko looking baits...Wake up Cupcake and smell the LaCORE thinner! OPEN THE LID and Get out of the box of hobby lobby supplies....do it like SINATRA..that's YOUR way or mine for those not following.. BUT MOST IMPORTANT do what the purple dinosaur SAID TO DO...."USE YOUR IMAGINATION!" and listen to alot of PAPER TONGUES WHILE YOU PAINT!

The used toilet paper would work if you want to paint a CRAPY smellin LURE!

The Rookie

Edited by The_Rookie

Mt Dew 2 Liter bottles..

Milk Jugs... Toilet paper.. paper towels.. sand paper.. rip it good.... Panny hose....old panies...deer fur or squirrel skin if your fancy... Dryer sheets... used... no not toilet paper use it new.. am I high on paint possible not likely its only friday...Tape get the green not the blue.. drill out your plastic with a dremmel it rips it up GOOD and creates edges out of this world!!! nothing you can do with a FREAKIN HOBBY KNIFE you jackwagon... you want crazyness and wacko de mo lacko looking baits...Wake up Cupcake and smell the LaCORE thinner! OPEN THE LID and Get out of the box of hobby lobby supplies....do it like SINATRA..that's YOUR way or mine for those not following.. BUT MOST IMPORTANT do what the purple dinosaur SAID TO DO...."USE YOUR IMAGINATION!" and listen to alot of PAPER TONGUES WHILE YOU PAINT!

The Rookie

Looks like somebody forgot their medication again. We need a tranquilizer gun. STAT!!! :P

What a great idea. I am all set up with ferric chloride too. You forgot to mention that you will have to completely coat the rear side, or the etchant will just eat from the back face. When doing electronic circuit boards, I use a paint pen (called a 'zig painty') to draw the tracks, works well.

Dave

Quite right, will give a more detailed description of the process.

Mt Dew 2 Liter bottles..

The Rookie

WHACK JOB!!!!!!!!! 8^)

Mt Dew 2 Liter bottles..

The Rookie

That has to be one of the best replies Iv read in a long time :tipsy:

Mt Dew 2 Liter bottles..

The Rookie

Surprisingly, a search for “Jackwagon” only came up with your post.

Dude…your awesome!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA