tylersbasementcreations

Best Way To Crackle Paint

In my experience, it's hard to get the crackle effect you want unless you experiment. The little details make all the difference. I paint with acrylic water based paint and have tried one brand of acrylic crackle medium over foil and paint. The foil is much slicker so the same technique I used over paint resulted in drastically more cracking over the foil. The same thing happens over different paints if their surfaces differ in texture. Instructions for my crackle medium said to brush it on, let it dry completely, then apply paint over it and it would crackle as it dried. There was almost no cracking when I did it that way, so next I sprayed the top paint onto crackle medium that was still wet, and dried both simultaneously with a hair dryer. Lots more cracking that way. Worked OK over a paint base but over foil, it cracked so much that the top paint looked like small paint beads instead of crackle paint. Also, when I did one side of a lure at a time, it was impossible to get the other side to look similar - so I learned to do both sides at the same time. Bottom line, you have to experiment with your particular medium and your particular paint because there are so many variables.

In my experience, it's hard to get the crackle effect you want unless you experiment. The little details make all the difference. I paint with acrylic water based paint and have tried one brand of acrylic crackle medium over foil and paint. The foil is much slicker so the same technique I used over paint resulted in drastically more cracking over the foil. The same thing happens over different paints if their surfaces differ in texture. Instructions for my crackle medium said to brush it on, let it dry completely, then apply paint over it and it would crackle as it dried. There was almost no cracking when I did it that way, so next I sprayed the top paint onto crackle medium that was still wet, and dried both simultaneously with a hair dryer. Lots more cracking that way. Worked OK over a paint base but over foil, it cracked so much that the top paint looked like small paint beads instead of crackle paint. Also, when I did one side of a lure at a time, it was impossible to get the other side to look similar - so I learned to do both sides at the same time. Bottom line, you have to experiment with your particular medium and your particular paint because there are so many variables.

where chould i get crankle medium

I've found that, for me, the crackle effect happens when I put a strong film paint, like high gloss, over a low film strength paint, like flat or low gloss, while the first coat is still tacky. As the stronger film dries, it wants to shrink, and it pull hard enough on the lower strength fim to make it crackle.

It's kind of like what happens on a mud flat when it dries out. The surface mud starts to shrink, and since it's on top of a still wet layer, it cracks into small sections.

Are there different types of crackle medium that work better than others? I bought some Folk Art crackle medium and the instructions say not to use it in high humidity. Here in East Texas we have fairly high humidity pretty much all the time. Could this be one reason I can't get it to work properly?

Are there different types of crackle medium that work better than others? I bought some Folk Art crackle medium and the instructions say not to use it in high humidity. Here in East Texas we have fairly high humidity pretty much all the time. Could this be one reason I can't get it to work properly?

I think using a hair dryer on it would probably counteract the high humidity. The faster it dries, the more it cracks. I've only tried Folk Art brand.

you can use crackle medium if you like it. I have better luck with plain elmers glue it makes better crackles and is much more consistant than crackle medium. I found this out from my aunt who makes crafts for several local craft shops. I only coat the bait once and it works great.

Do you allow the Elmers Glue to dry or spray your color on top of it while it is still wet?