HawgBone

Frog Molds

After browsing around for awhile I can't seem to find the frog mold that I'm looking for. I'm trying to find a 2-sided hand pour aluminum frog mold that has some decently big paddle feet and a somewhat thick body. Anyone know of any frog molds out there that they have had great success with that fit my description? I looked at Del's buzzfrog and if I can't find another mold then that is probably the one I'll be buying.

On a sidenote, what's everyone's favorite color for their frogs? Mine personally is watermelon w/ black flake, I'd like to hear other opinions though before I start pouring.

Hawgbone,

You should check out the bob's frog. It is a very popular mold on the site, look in the classified add section to really save you some money. i have three that I picked up off of TU. My Favorite color is what I call Bull Frog. I add a few drops of white and chartreuse till I get a scrambled egg yellow, this is the belly. Then pour a watermelon/black flake for the top. you can do this with two cups at the same time, pour one half and close the mold and pout the other, or make a split cup to pour both at the same time. I also really like pour a majority of my scrap plastic into the frogs because the frogs work best a dusk/dark, this way i have a ton of very dark frogs to cast a big silhouette, and can reuse my plastic that was left over, or the sprues. Here is a pictuce of a whole mess of frogs. If you want some samples let me know and i will send some your way.

GeorgeDSCN0268.JPG

DSCN0268.JPG

DSCN0268.JPG

DSCN0268.JPG

DSCN0268.JPG

DSCN0268.JPG

DSCN0268.JPG

DSCN0268.JPG

post-22769-0-89336700-1290098244_thumb.jpg

Edited by GDille

They make a lot of water move. but I get a lot of hit when the frog is stopped. sometimes I work them really fast, and the frogs flails, or very slow to a gurgle and stop and twitch. Of all the frogs i have bought, this is my favorite. Im just glad it is from molds that I have so I won't run out. Just make sure you have a bunch of them, I get so many strikes so hard that they tear up pretty fast, then they get remelted re poured.

George

They make a lot of water move. but I get a lot of hit when the frog is stopped. sometimes I work them really fast, and the frogs flails, or very slow to a gurgle and stop and twitch. Of all the frogs i have bought, this is my favorite. Im just glad it is from molds that I have so I won't run out. Just make sure you have a bunch of them, I get so many strikes so hard that they tear up pretty fast, then they get remelted re poured.

George

And you made it sound pretty easy to hand pour a laminate, is it a lot harder than you made it sound? or is there really not a lot to it? I was also looking at a 7" Berkeley power worm type mold, but after talking with Del he said in a hand pour the tail would have to be poured and then close up the mold and pour the body. Have you had any experience with anything like that?

Hawgbone,

You should check out the bob's frog. It is a very popular mold on the site, look in the classified add section to really save you some money. i have three that I picked up off of TU. My Favorite color is what I call Bull Frog. I add a few drops of white and chartreuse till I get a scrambled egg yellow, this is the belly. Then pour a watermelon/black flake for the top. you can do this with two cups at the same time, pour one half and close the mold and pout the other, or make a split cup to pour both at the same time. I also really like pour a majority of my scrap plastic into the frogs because the frogs work best a dusk/dark, this way i have a ton of very dark frogs to cast a big silhouette, and can reuse my plastic that was left over, or the sprues. Here is a pictuce of a whole mess of frogs. If you want some samples let me know and i will send some your way.

GeorgeDSCN0268.JPG

George,

When I clicked on your picture, and it finally loaded, it brought along a couple of spam sites that opened when I closed the picture, and wouldn't let me close them. You probably want to check out you web security.

And you made it sound pretty easy to hand pour a laminate, is it a lot harder than you made it sound? or is there really not a lot to it? I was also looking at a 7" Berkeley power worm type mold, but after talking with Del he said in a hand pour the tail would have to be poured and then close up the mold and pour the body. Have you had any experience with anything like that?

This is just for you. So you can see it is real easy. I did not pour two cups at once or have a divided cup. Hope this helps. Frank

Yeah Frank you really do make it look easy, I have a couple questions now after looking at that. What would happen if you did pour some of the legs and feet before closing the mold, and would you be able to pour three color frogs this way? The last question I have, for now, is actually about dipping the frogs after they're poured if you poured a frog let's watermelon body with white belly and then dipped it in some off color like red would the watermelon and white show through? I guess I'm asking if you could make the off color transparent enough that the under colors would show through, and do you think the frog would look good or is this just some stupid newbie thought I'm having?

Yeah Frank you really do make it look easy, I have a couple questions now after looking at that. What would happen if you did pour some of the legs and feet before closing the mold, and would you be able to pour three color frogs this way? The last question I have, for now, is actually about dipping the frogs after they're poured if you poured a frog let's watermelon body with white belly and then dipped it in some off color like red would the watermelon and white show through? I guess I'm asking if you could make the off color transparent enough that the under colors would show through, and do you think the frog would look good or is this just some stupid newbie thought I'm having?

OK if I wanted the legs a differant color I would pour the whole thing first open the mold then cut the legs off pour the belly. Close the mold with the legs and the belly in there and pour the third color. And for dipping if you use a transperant color the watermelon would show through but the color would be a mix of both. If you use an opaque color it would not show through. Takes alot of colorant to do that. Lets say you pour a frog that is a white belly and blue back then dip it in transperant yellow. It will be a yellow bellied green frog. Does that make sense? Dipping also deadens action so if you say dip the feet you could kill the action that was desighed into the frog. Still fun to play around with though. Frank

731i0j.jpg

Yeah that makes a lot of sense now, thanks Frank. Sorry if the questions seemed dumb, just a newbie here getting a little curious trying to figure everything out before I really get into this thing. I see that you have the bobstackleshack frog too, that seems to be a really popular frog around here. I just looked at Bears Baits Kickin' Frog, I really like the look of that frog, especially for the fact that it comes up to 5" that's one big frog seems like a winner to me.. any suggetions?

Yeah that makes a lot of sense now, thanks Frank. Sorry if the questions seemed dumb, just a newbie here getting a little curious trying to figure everything out before I really get into this thing. I see that you have the bobstackleshack frog too, that seems to be a really popular frog around here. I just looked at Bears Baits Kickin' Frog, I really like the look of that frog, especially for the fact that it comes up to 5" that's one big frog seems like a winner to me.. any suggetions?

Basstackle,Bobstackle,Bears,Dels and the newest one Caney Creek all have a frog that is great. Is one better than the other I guess only you have the answer to that question. You know what you are after and have confidence in. This board is here for everybody to learn. The only dumb question is the one you never ask.

Basstackle,Bobstackle,Bears,Dels and the newest one Caney Creek all have a frog that is great. Is one better than the other I guess only you have the answer to that question. You know what you are after and have confidence in. This board is here for everybody to learn. The only dumb question is the one you never ask.

Dells buzz frog caught me some real big bass on my lake!

I'm gonna shoot my first frogs in the morning when my wife goes to work. I have the Basstackle mold, and just received the plastisol from Dels on Friday.

I appreciate the tips Frank. I'm gonna do a dark GP back with a light chartreuse pearl belly.

What did you use to put the dark splotches on the second frog with the chartreuse legs? I like the leopard frog look

picture001uc.th.jpg

this is my first attempt at the frog mold. I like the way it turned out, but have found out that pouring the legs caused problems when trying to shoot the back. A few didn't form the paddle feet.

I gave the "bad ones" to the kids to play with and they quickly stripped the belly off of the frog, so I also have a modest problem with delamination and I'm not certain what to do about it...it's not bad, but it does give me a new dilemma to deal with.

I'm really looking forward to summer grass mats

this is my first attempt at the frog mold. I like the way it turned out, but have found out that pouring the legs caused problems when trying to shoot the back. A few didn't form the paddle feet.

Is it the same paddle that fails each time, ie. second pour, paddle closest to the centre of the mold.

Dave

Dave, to be honest I haven't paid enough attention to answer that.

I think the problem is rusty hand pouring technique. I've been injecting almost exclusively for about a year now, and I seem to be a bit heavy handed when hand pouring. I think I'm just clogging the leg cavity.

I just need to practice some more.