HawgBone

Favorite Panfish Fly

Hello Everyone,

I'm a newbie to fly fishing and this forum just wanted to get into the mix of things and have heard that bluegills on fly tackle have been very fun, and might be a good way for a newbie in fly fishing to start. So what's everyone's favorite fly for panfish? Instructions/materials for trying it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice, and I'm excited to be here at tackleunderground!

Bluegills are pretty easy to fool, you don't need anything fancy. If you're new to tying, some simple black and white chenille nymphs will catch you a bunch. Just wrap half the body with black and half with white. You can add some rubber legs or some hackle for a little action, but it isn't necessary. They'll hit almost anything when they're hungry. Even the cheapo imported flies that you can buy just about anywhere. It's also a good way to make use of your rejects. If a fly doesn't come out so great, just toss it in your bluegill box, and the tying time isn't wasted. A slow retrieve usually works - let it crawl along the bottom. I often just wind the line slowly around my left hand and you can easily feel the fish pick up the fly. A lot of fun. They'll often grab a fly just to keep the other fish from getting it.

I like using the Pheasant Head Nymph. I enjoy using it more with a popper dropper set up. Then you have a strike indicator with a hook. I have caught a bluegill bigger than my hand on the nymph and while bringing it in hooked a 2 lb bass on the popper. look at flyanglersonline.com. The late Al Campbell does a great job explaining everything. Poke around the site and read everything. If you like the looks of a fly, tie it, if you have troubles with it youtube the fly, then tie it again. I hope this helps. I learned to tie everything long before I found forums, it would have helped to know.

George

I will second that Al Campbell has some great stuff for the beginner fly tier.

By far my favorite Bluegill fly is the 'Humpy'! You can find it on Al's site.

I like using the Pheasant Head Nymph. I enjoy using it more with a popper dropper set up. Then you have a strike indicator with a hook. I have caught a bluegill bigger than my hand on the nymph and while bringing it in hooked a 2 lb bass on the popper. look at flyanglersonline.com. The late Al Campbell does a great job explaining everything. Poke around the site and read everything. If you like the looks of a fly, tie it, if you have troubles with it youtube the fly, then tie it again. I hope this helps. I learned to tie everything long before I found forums, it would have helped to know.

George