HawgBone

Best Way To Paint A Buzzbait

I love fishing buzzbaits, so as soon as I got into this whole lure making business buzzbaits were the first thing I had thoughts of making, and now that the this dream is soon going to become a reality I'm wondering how most guys out there are painting their buzzbaits? I see a lot of jigs being painted by powder paint but would that be as effective on buzzbaits?

I've been looking at air brushes and they seem to be the way to go, but I wanted to get some outside opinions before I went and bought one. I would like to paint a two color buzzbait, so i figured an airbrush would be the way to go. How difficult can the painting get on a buzzbait when doing multiple colors with an airbrush? Also if anyone has some pictures of creations they have made, it would be greatly appreciated. Any advice on buzzbait molds would be nice too, my ears are open to anything anyone here has to say!

HawgBone,

My vote is for powder paint. I am a die hard powder paint user. Depending on how much area you have to paint you can even put on 4-5 colors of powder. Powder paint hands down is the best stuff you can use without a top coat. It is very durable and easy to appply. No smell no clean-up period. It does have it's limitations though. But if you're doing buzzbait bodies, I don't think you are going to try to paint and exotic mural on there. If you want to see some of my pics PM me your e-mail, and I wll show you some of the things that can be done. Just my two cents worth. Others will have more info for you to make a logical choice.

Hey Cadman,

Thanks for the advice, hearing someone beef up powder paint like that makes me want to give it a try. I'm looking forward to seeing your work, and hoping to get some more opinions. I'm planning on eventually doing jigs which could easily be done with powder paint too, so maybe I'll be able to save myself an expense there, and join the die hard powder paint fans! :lol:

Hawgbone, I see you're in PA too, I'm 100 mi north of philly, south central to be more precise...lol. I paint all of my spinnerbaits and jigs with powder and like it as much as cadman, who has helped me out along the way also so take note, whatever he tells you will be 100% spot on! I use a fluid bed for sigle color jigs but multi-color jigs and spinnerbaits I spray the powder, sort of like using an airbrush but not as much detail. Power can be done to look awesome but you aren't going to get the fine detail like you would with an airbrush but buzzbaits don't get any better with a lot of detail so powder would be a good place to start, and it'll save you a bit in the beginning because as cadman has mentioned, you don't need a topcoat if you cure the lure after painting. As for molds, I was using a friends homemade buzzbait this year that was made with a Do-it Keel Buzzbait mold, and it was awesome, it stayed upright during the retrieve and looked cool too so you may want to try that. I've seen some who don't care for the Do-it molds but I really like there jig molds and the ultra minnow spinnerbait mold is one of the best, that bait comes through grass better than most baits I ever fished with, so check those out and maybe you'll see something you like. Good luck!

well it looks like all signs are pointing towards powder paint, after doing a little more research I understand where everyone is coming from I'm hoping to get my molds/paint here in the near future, will probably do a little bit more research on everything before I start ordering. Thanks for the advice guys, and smalljaw I'm located halfway between State College and Harrisburg.