jigmeister

Awesome Bait Company/thundershad Crankbaits ?

Well, the website found via Google is not active but I see you can still buy them on Ebay and there's an accurate review on Tackle Tour. I got a couple of Thundershads a few years ago when Rick Clunn was touting them and they didn't last very long, so I think the Tackle Tour review is dead-on regarding both performance and durability. Enough said?

I know the original owner (Paul Kaptis) was trying to sell his business some years ago. Burned out making baits. I thought his baits were made very well at the time. Maybe he sold it then the new owners cut corners. Don't know for sure. His website was the only place he retailed so I'm guessing if they are on ebay now that's probably the only place to get them.

If you get them, the first thing I would do is put another thin clear coat. The lips are not sealed to the bait very well (if at all on the back side) and as mentioned they are fairly fragile(dent and crack easily). They do work well though. How's that for not answering your ?. I got mine on ebay a few years back. I've also noticed the same model bait can vary significantly in both size, amount of lip sticking out, etc.

They were all over ebay 4-5 years ago. They would sell them 8, 12, and 20 at a time. Most of them could be bought for $1-$2 each. If you bought a group of 20 you might get 3 styles with 3 colors. Groups of 20 would sell for $15 and never over $35.

None of these were ever in a package, no hooks, and the seller would never call them a Thundershad or use the name Awesome Bait Company. I think it was just a way to move some old inventory and turn it back to cash. This seller sold groups every week for about a year straight and them off and on for 2-3 years after that. I saw a few groups on there in the past few months and they were listed the same way. Handmade Balsa Crankbaits would find them. The paint jobs were a dead give away. The last time I saw them they were in smaller groups of 3-5. They still didn't use the names or have a package. Good luck

Funny how that works. I have broken the bills on lots of Rapala cranks, and so has everyone I know who throws them, but they are still going strong, and are my go-to deep crank.

I broke the bills off of 4 xraps this year and the last one was brand new, used maybe twice in open water not bouncing them off rocks or anything. E-mailed rapala twice about it and never received a reply.

thanks for all the responses guys . I bought maybe 10 baits 9 or 10 years ago .I discovering just about half the baits would "hunt " on retrieve. They were/are fragile but when you get a good one its a fish catching machine! I guess I'll be forced to sand down and repaint some of the good running ones with factory paint jobs the fish don't seem to care for .......