bbf

Vacuum Forming

Do any of yall think a 5 hp shop vac is to much for vacuum forming? Any feed back would appreciated.

By the way all you guys rock. Thanks for the information shared on this site and sharing of your methods.

Hope all of yall have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Lee

I don't see why a 5hp shop vac would be too much. As long as the holes in your vacuum table aren't so big that it tries to suck the heated plastic through it. When I was researching vacuum forming I seem to remember reading about one that somebody built using a 5hp shop vac. It was somewhere on the 'net, but I can't remember where and as my hard drive crashed I lost the bookmark to that particular page.

There's quite a bit of info in the archives about vacuum forming. Just type "vacuum forming" into the search feature.

Edited by RayburnGuy

Wish I had the brains to set up a vacuum forming table, The craws off of the vacuum forms look Great !!

It's not very hard to build one Big Bass Man. I built mine out of scrap plywood. Some of the sites I visited said you needed a shop vac with up to 5hp to make it work, but my 1.5hp vac worked just fine.

It is all down to what thickness you are forming. If you are just making some thin masks for airbrushing or packaging, then a regular size shop vac will do the job. But if you are hoping to pull 1/8" down to a nice crisp corner, then I suspect even the 5hp is going to struggle, then you need to move to a serious vacuum pump and a reservoir tank.

Here is a link to a forum specializing on home vacuum forming: http://www.tk560.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=1

Dave

Thanks guys for the info. By the way RayburnGuy did you use peg board or just drill holes in plywood?

I just drilled holes in top of the plywood box. Believe they were drilled with a 1/8" bit. The piece you use for the top that has the holes drilled in it will need to be a fairly smooth piece. It doesn't have to be smooth as a babies bottom, but it shouldn't have any knotholes or anything like that in it. Just holler if I can help.

Ben

I just drilled holes in top of the plywood box. Believe they were drilled with a 1/8" bit. The piece you use for the top that has the holes drilled in it will need to be a fairly smooth piece. It doesn't have to be smooth as a babies bottom, but it shouldn't have any knotholes or anything like that in it. Just holler if I can help.

Ben

Thank you sir.

It's not very hard to build one Big Bass Man. I built mine out of scrap plywood. Some of the sites I visited said you needed a shop vac with up to 5hp to make it work, but my 1.5hp vac worked just fine.

Thanks guys !!

Havent really studied up on vacuum forming very much, Watching a few vids on youtube about it helped me understand it better. I might have to make a trip to Lowes. What kind of plastic do yall use for crankbait stencils?

Thanks guys !!

Havent really studied up on vacuum forming very much, Watching a few vids on youtube about it helped me understand it better. I might have to make a trip to Lowes. What kind of plastic do yall use for crankbait stencils?

I'm using a high impact acrylic (PETG) at .030" thickness. It's easy to form and holds it's shape well. Got mine from a dealer in Dallas, but am sure there will be plastics suppliers close to wherever you are. It was only $18.50 plus shipping for a 4'x8' sheet.