colobass

Iwata Airbrush Starter Sets

Newbie. I'm going to get an airbrush set and get started painting crankbaits. Here's what I've gotten from some other threads:

• Iwata CR Revolution is a good one to start with.
  • Does it matter what kind of compressor?
  • Createx paint is a good line of paint to use?
  • Are there any necessary items that I might need in addition to the airbrush, compressor, and paint? Attachments, etc.?

I've seen some great lures on this site, and have some great information, but the basics for a newbie like myself would be invaluable. Thanks.

Unless otherwise indicated, Iwatas don't come with a hose. You can either buy an Iwata hose or get a Paasche hose and use an Iwata-Paasche hose adapter. Compressors are rated for their max output. That's 10-15 psi more than the constant operating pressure they maintain after you press the trigger on your airbrush. You may shoot at lower pressures but most guys like to have 30-45 psi operating pressure available for shooting color undercoats, thick pearls, and flakes - so JMHO, I wouldn't buy a compressor that advertises less than 60 psi max pressure. Tool compressors typically have 100+ psi, so they are a popular and inexpensive choice. You'll need a pressure regulator and a moisture trap between the compressor and the airbrush. I find it easier to buy the components, then go to a home center and get the adapter fittings needed to connect everything together. Add PTFE (aka Teflon) plumbers tape to all connections.

Createx is the "standard" for airbrush paint - sold more places than any other. It's good stuff, shoots well and is consistent. The Createx color palette is not designed for nature painting like some other brands. You can custom mix Createx to suit or you can buy other brands for specific colors. I mix and match brands with no problem - it's all acrylic water based paint. Other guys prefer to mix their own intermediate shades.

There are other "tools and tricks" guys use with airbrushes: scale netting, paint templates, thinning agents, etc. Get some airbrush cleaning solution and the smallest set of cleaning brushes you can find when you order your supplies. Clean airbrushes work and are fun to use. Clogged brushes are a giant pain in the neck.

I would add one thing to what BobP said and that's to make sure whether or not the compressor you buy is an oiled or oil-less unit. The difference between the two is that an oiled compressor lubricates itself much the same way as an automobile engine and the oil-less does not. Most small compressors are oil-less and are much quieter than an oiled compressor. On the other hand the oiled compressors usually last longer. If you do end up with an oiled compressor you will need to use an inline dessicant filter to catch any oil vapor that makes it's way around the cylinder rings. You can find inline dessicant filters at Harbor Freight for about $6. I also like to have my filters as close to my airbrush as possible to catch any water vapor that could have formed in the air hose due to condensation. This can be a problem especially if a long air hose is used between the compressor and the airbrush. I built a manifold that holds my regulator, water trap and dessicant filter. I have this manifold bolted to the workbench where I paint. It has an air inlet fitting that the air supply hose hooks to. This way my filters are within 6 feet of my airbrush. Hope this helps.

Edited by RayburnGuy