Mags

Popr Eyes

Anyone have any tips for painting Rebel Pop-R eyes? The trouble I'm having is the eye is molded into the head and when you dab the paint for the eye it wants to flow into the eye cavity. It's pretty hard to get a perfectly symmetrical eye. I was wondering if anyone has ground the pupil down with a dremel and then used the 3D eyes. It would look a whole lot better.

I've ground down molded eyes on plastic lures with the tip of a Dremel cylinder carving bit. Just be careful not to go too far or too fast. At high speed, the bit can melt the plastic rather than abrade it away - then it sticks to the bit and you end up with a depression in the eye socket instead of a flat surface on which to set the 3D eye.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. The painted eyes on this bait look terrible.

If you're just knocking off the high part of the old eye, try a fine metal file. It will remove material slowly enough that you won't mess up, and it will leave a flat surface.

I use one all the time to shape the crazy glue drops I use to fill in my glass rattle or lead ballast holes when the glue is proud of the hole, instead of flush.

If I am painting Pop'R eyes or Wiggle Warts, I've found I have to use a template so that I can spray them with the airbrush. Dabbing paint on with a small dowel just doesn't give an even coat on a rounded surface.

I have a cheap set of hollow punches in various sizes. I use blue masking tap and punch a perfect hole in it. Then just lay the template over the eye, and spray several light coats on it.

Use a smaller punch and repeat process to make the pupil.

Option #1

The dremmel trick works done it before on plastics baits.. maybe 500 times.. take your time and dont go to far or you will cut a hole in the bait and it will take in water. if you do cut in the bait.. EPOXY the hole good.. let it dry then make sure you add more epoxy and stick on the eye.. that should seal it up good..

Option #2

Spary the whole eye with black and around the out side of the bait.. then take white and just hit the eye ball try your best to get your gun very close..take the tip protector off the gun and tap out the paint..and hold it very close and take your time DIPSTICK or you WILL MAKE A FIREworks SHOT!!! like all of us have done before making shad kill spots..after you get your white over the black eye you should have black out line with white eye.. then take gold or red or whatever you want the outside color to be and lightly spary the eye ball..I had you add white to add depth and to cover the black so your red gold or whatever color you want your eye to be shows up...

Last.. Get some black paint and pour 2 rain drop amounts out on a table or paper or cup.. just pour the crap out somewhere so you can dip a paper clip or something like that in the black paint.. you want it thick and you want it to be about ready to drip off the paper clip... then just lightly touch the eye ball.. AND SLOW pull your had away.... all the paint you put on it should help hold it in place because of the chemical bond formula bs the thinkers around here talk about all time that I pay not bit of attention too because its too darn complex for my simple mind and in my opinion a waste of FISHING TIME.. this crap is not rocket science it a fishing lure..(JUST KIDDING DAVE! hope I made you laugh).. if you still get the runs lay off red meat and your using too much paint on your dip... if you dont make a big enough black spot on your eye for your liking.. find a bigger PAPER CLIP skippy. or something like a paper clip.

For the record.. I never do option 2... I rather just dremmel out the eye ball and put a stick on eye... but I did sleep at a holiday inn express last night. and Option 2 will work. Try and see what you think. You can get crazy funky with eyes if you have the time.

all the paint you put on it should help hold it in place because of the chemical bond formula bs the thinkers around here talk about all time that I pay not bit of attention too because its too darn complex for my simple mind and in my opinion a waste of FISHING TIME.. this crap is not rocket science it a fishing lure..(JUST KIDDING DAVE! hope I made you laugh).

Well, I was about to write an essay on the implications of surface tension and capillary action, but I don't think I will bother now that you have hurt my feelings.:(

Rookie my friend, you always make me laugh.

Dave