Matt Moreau

Water Separator From Air Supply Leaking?

Hi Guys,

I need you help once again. I read that it is a must to use a water separator so I went out and bought one yesterday. I hooked it all up and turned my compressor on and the darn thing leaks from the air valve on the bottom. I am assuming that this valve is to release the water? is it supposed to leak maybe to have a constant draw? The valve is the same you see on a bicycle tire and I tride to tighten it but no luck.

Any water trap that I have seen, the valve should be tight during operation. You loosen the valve to drain the water. Maybe you have a bad water trap?

CLM

Hi Guys,

I need you help once again. I read that it is a must to use a water separator so I went out and bought one yesterday. I hooked it all up and turned my compressor on and the darn thing leaks from the air valve on the bottom. I am assuming that this valve is to release the water? is it supposed to leak maybe to have a constant draw? The valve is the same you see on a bicycle tire and I tride to tighten it but no luck.

There are a few different varieties.

Ive got a feeling you have one that auto-drains.

If it has no valve to turn on the bottom, its an auto drain.

They work by having the lines air pressure seal the collection bell, then when pressure is lifted (or turned off) the spring forces the valve open to allow collected water to drain.

If youre running on low pressure, it might not be enough to force down the valve and results in air leakage.

A solution is to increase air pressure and add a regulator on down the line to reduce to a lower psi.

If thats not the case it could be an inferior or defective twist valve.

One way to check it is to increase pressure then push the valve in to see if it releases air, if it does, then it's functioning correctly.

Good luck w/ it.

There are a few different varieties.

Ive got a feeling you have one that auto-drains.

If it has no valve to turn on the bottom, its an auto drain.

They work by having the lines air pressure seal the collection bell, then when pressure is lifted (or turned off) the spring forces the valve open to allow collected water to drain.

If youre running on low pressure, it might not be enough to force down the valve and results in air leakage.

A solution is to increase air pressure and add a regulator on down the line to reduce to a lower psi.

If thats not the case it could be an inferior or defective twist valve.

One way to check it is to increase pressure then push the valve in to see if it releases air, if it does, then it's functioning correctly.

Good luck w/ it.

Ya thats the one I have redg8r, but the first one was defective. Go figure it was from Harbor Freight! Got another one and hooked it up and no leak. The range on my compressor i have set is 32-40 psi. It seems to be ok with this new one.

Now what secret product will help my painting skillz? lol i think thats a lost cause!!!

Thanks guys for the help

Matt