riverbassin

Plastic Baits

RB, Most of us carve/shape crankbait bodies from wood or PVC foam board. Some of us mold bodies from expanding foam or materials like Alumite.

When I want something like a RC 1.5, I shape it from balsa wood and install a square polycarbonate (aka Lexan) lip. If you want something similar without building, check out the square billed FG shallow diver sold by Jann's Netcraft. They are smaller and about half the weight of a RC 1.5 but have the same action and are good quality. You can buy clear ones and paint them, or buy finished ones, add hooks and go fishing.

RB, Most of us carve/shape crankbait bodies from wood or PVC foam board. Some of us mold bodies from expanding foam or materials like Alumite.

When I want something like a RC 1.5, I shape it from balsa wood and install a square polycarbonate (aka Lexan) lip. If you want something similar without building, check out the square billed FG shallow diver sold by Jann's Netcraft. They are smaller and about half the weight of a RC 1.5 but have the same action and are good quality. You can buy clear ones and paint them, or buy finished ones, add hooks and go fishing.

I am highly interested in the pvc building crankbaits seen a few post subject matter here and wondering how crank baits can be either shaped or blow mold from this material?

thank you.

If your talking about building the plastic, hollow body baits like you can purchase from the major lure companies then the only way I know of making these baits is by the injection molding process. If you have your own design there are companies that will do this process for you, but it is fairly expensive to get started. I believe it's in the range of a couple thousand dollars just to get a mold built and then you have to purchase one or two thousand lures just to get them to even talk to you. You also have to make sure the lures your building are not copies of baits that are already on the market to avoid any patent infringements.

RB, the PVC baits are shaped just like wood. Trace an bait outline, cut it out with a band or scroll saw, cut the lip slot, shape/round it with a Dremel or sanding machine, install ballast and hardware, paint it, install a lip, then clearcoat the bait for durability. Most hobbyists work by hand with simple power tools but a jig saw, sharp knife, sandpaper, and a paintbrush will get you started. Check out the member submitted tutorials for some of the techniques.

RB, the PVC baits are shaped just like wood. Trace an bait outline, cut it out with a band or scroll saw, cut the lip slot, shape/round it with a Dremel or sanding machine, install ballast and hardware, paint it, install a lip, then clearcoat the bait for durability. Most hobbyists work by hand with simple power tools but a jig saw, sharp knife, sandpaper, and a paintbrush will get you started. Check out the member submitted tutorials for some of the techniques.

thanks bp that is exactly the information I was looking for! thank you all for your kind wisdom.

Great video. Lots of usefull information. I have been looking around for clear plastic for makeing the bills but have not had any sucess. What type of plastic do you use for the bills?

1007175.th.jpg

Alumilte regular with about 75% microballoons by volume and I learned everything on here from some great bait makers. Do a search for "foamies" as that is what they are commonly refered to. Experiment with the ballast weight before epoxing it in as this bait is overweighted and slowely sinks.

On a side note anyone know how to remove a ballast weight that is set in with Devcon?

Allen