robertjp

wood sealer issue

Robert,

You know I tried that product too and was disappointed with the results I had. It seemed to me that it took much too long to dry and left a strange coating on the wood. The other day an expert lure builder that I met online told me he uses "Bullseye Spray on Shellac". I bought some of this stuff and absolutely love it! I bought mine at Home Depot but have since noticed it for sale in other hardware shops. The stuff sprays on with ease, dries completely in 15 minutes, use two coats, great stuff! It costs about 5 bucks a can.

jed

Riverman,

Not so fast. I tried that last year for awhile. The problem I had was since createx paint is acrylic and Bullseye is oil based. The paint peeled off in huge chucks even with devcon coating after using the baits for awhile. Had it happen to at least 3 nice paint jobs. I learned dont mix acrylic with oil based. Thats why I tried the polycrylic. Still looking. Bob P

Hey robertjp, if you think the oil base was the problem

of your water based paint peeling, why do you suppose

it only happened on 3 baits? My guess would be that

water leaked into the bait through an unsealed

spot and allowed moisture to collect and swell the

bait causing the problem. I use oil base sealer and

primer and have not had any problems of this nature.

No baits that I have sold have been returned to me

with any problems. I like Kilz original primer because

of the volume of high build solids.

Coley

Hmmm, the directions on the back say "this product can be top-coated with any paint or varnish-aerosol or liquid, oil-based or water based". That pretty much covers everything doesn't it? I have to admit tho that I have used it on only a couple baits but the guy who told me about it is posting on this board now I think, wiggle bait company....maybe he will chime in here.

Sorry I couldn't help ya.

jed

The minwax takes several (min 3) coats with sanding in between. Did you do this? Have used a couple of minwax products with very good results (see unfinished flat side pics in earlier post, gallery). I sand lightly after about the third minwax coat, then flexcoat, then shoot createx.

It's all about the layers...

Here is a sealer Lincoya put me on, it's called

Prep, all-purpose Sealer, from Delta Creamcoat.

Prepares wood and other porous surfaces for paint.

It is waterbased and does a good job. You can put it

on with a brush. Dries in less than an hour, ready

for sanding.

Coley

Dave,

The minwax always feels oily to me even after I wait a full day for it to dry, hated the long wait. This bullseye stuff is completely dry in 15 minutes and leaves no oily feeling at all, two coats seems to work fine. I love the stuff right now but time will tell.

jed

Rivermann,

One other issue with the Bullseye...it stinks wicked, you must go outside to use it (Thats a problem for me when its 15 degrees) The minwax Im talking about is the Polycrylic and not the polyurethane (oil based). I will try sanding between coats for now. Thanks guys and I may also try the Delta Lincoya mentioned. BP