ravenlures

Uv Blast Top Coat

I've got some of the non-UV Blast stuff, and it looks pretty good. I used it on some PVC lures, but I won't know how tough it is until next year when I get a chance to fish it. It has a nice gloss to it, and it's slick and hard in hand. Ease of use is also a plus. I have yet to perform any immersion tests on it, so that's something you might need to watch. I don't really think it will be an issue, but I'll see if I can do some tests on it.

I would say that this topcoat is best suited for plastic lures (repaints or knockoff paints) rather than wooden lures. It's not thick enough in my opinion to provide enough protection for a wooden lure.

I'm sure it's not for everyone, but Seal Coat may work for some uses. I probably wouldn't end up using it on all of my lures, but for example if I had a new prototype I wanted to get finished and tested quickly I could topcoat it at night and fish it the next morning. Or it could work on lures with 3d scales, where you wouldn't want to use an epoxy that would cover over the details.

I spray mine through an airbrush. It takes several coats to build up to a nice, shiny gloss, but you can heat-set each coat with a hairdryer. When you're spraying thicker coats, be careful not to use too much heat. That causes the Seal Coat to dry too fast, and you end up with a "crackle" effect. I dried thicker coats by starting with the hairdryer just blowing air, no heat. Then switch to low heat, and finally hit it on high. I think I took from 1-2 minutes on each setting, probably taking the longest time on cold.

You'd need to be careful about putting another coating over UV Blast. If it reflects UV light, a UV-protected topcoat is going to cut down on this effect or possibly even eliminate it. If you do want to topcoat over it, I'd suggest either regular Seal Coat or Envirotex. I don't believe E-tex is as UV-protected as other epoxies, so it might not affect the UV Blast much.

I hope this helps.

Ben

They make a spray that's applied over an existing top coat, for cranks and hard baits.

It gives baits a slight purplish tint, and really makes them stand out on low light, overcast days.

Test it first, since it can soften some top coats.

I keep a bottle in the boat, and use it on spoons and tailspins, and on cranks.

As always, I don't know. I got bit. Would I have gotten bitten without it? I don't know. That's one of the weird things about bass fishing.

But I do believe I get bit more with it. I had one of only three limits in a recent tournament, and I had put the UV worm dip on my plastics.

Did it help? It helped me to fish the cold, dirty water more slowly, and to expect to be bit. Confidence is everything on a tough bite.

But don't tell the guys I fish against!

Edited by mark poulson